Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

2001 tibby turbo install help/tips

Old 12-31-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default 2001 tibby turbo install help/tips

im wondering if getting and installing a turbo kit in my car is hard or realitively easy? i have never done a turbo setup and i have a 2001 tiburon stock motor with an aftermarket exhaust... so i could use some help
Old 12-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Have you read Maximum Boost! If you havent here, buy it, then ask again... This book will leterally tell you every thing you NEED to know before even THINKIN about going boosted!

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-.../dp/0837601606
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Yes Maximum Boost will cover the mechanics, nice to have's, and requirements for piecing together a turbo kit. Once you get that information it will tell you how to bring it all together so it works and also will tell you what is happening during every stage of boosting and why.

More specific info you will need to know is as follows.

-Realistic power goals (generally 250whp is attainable.)

-Money available for parts (if you are looking to spend $2000 on parts then double that amount to cover the small things during install)

-Do you have a 2nd vehicle since your Tib will have a LOT OF DOWNTIME?

-Are you mechanically inclined enough to do ALL the work?

Believe me its a lot of frustration but if you spend the money up front to make your setup strong and reliable then you will save yourself a lot of agony. By that I mean quality parts stockpiled over a long period of time ensuring that you haven't overlooked a single washer or bolt. Take the time to make a VERY detailed list of what you need, pull the motor and tranny and go to work.

Is it tough to install a turbo? No, not at all its actually the easiest part.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Agreed with both ^

You don't need to pull the motor or trans though. Once the radiator/fans are removed there is plenty of room to work. The problem is getting them back in. Just put the car on jack stands and go to town, once you know what your doing that is
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Originally Posted by SR Tech
Agreed with both ^

You don't need to pull the motor or trans though. Once the radiator/fans are removed there is plenty of room to work. The problem is getting them back in. Just put the car on jack stands and go to town, once you know what your doing that is

True, but...If you are going to turbo your car then you will at some point require a new clutch, especially if you are working on a 2001, that clutch is now 11 years old. So now with the motor in you have to finagle the tranny out which means you will have to remove the struts to pull the axles which throws off your alignment. If you pull the motor and tranny as a unit you dont have to touch any of that, just pop the axles out before you start raising the motor and they will fall out with a little guidance, this way you dont have to put the car on jacks either.

Things to maybe consider with an 11 year old engine and wanting to boost.

-New timing belt

-New water pump

-New axle seals

-Trans flush

To each their own when it comes to doing things, I can pull my entire assembly in less than 2 hours now but I have done the process 5 times already and know the snags to look out for, also I no longer have a lot of things attached to the motor.