Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

04 CVVT Turboed - Speed Factor kit

Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Eclipse Manifold..

Last weekend Tim and i turboed an 04 CVVT MAF engine. (my 04 elantra)

was easy... however now it is just working out mechanical bugs, like... bolts that someone forgot to tighten because he was working on a few hours sleep *cough*tim*cough* and the turbo blowing oil out from the seal between the compressor side and the exhaust side. (however it MAY be comming from the seal around the oil sending unit, but not likely)

i got the autotap software and was able to tune my car and last night went to an empty road in a new housing development that is not yet open... and did some runs and set the turbo for 8 psi.

i was able to get all my fuel trims within 5% using the SAFC II (running 340 injectors) however, i can not, for the life of me, keep the GD rubber cupplers on the intake piping to keep from blowing off! i think i will adjust some of the fitment of the intercooler piping and perhaps that will help.

Anyone have any idea's or secrets to keeping these couplers on?

on another note. at 8 PSI i have no knocking *using SAFC II*

the car responds very well to the boost, however the turbo *t3super60* is not spooling up till about 2500 in 3rd, and reaches full boost about 4000 rpms. I think this is mainly due to the fact i have the factory exhuast still oops.gif

Also, the CVVT engines have a wide band O2 sensor in the front... this makes tuning a sinch because the ECU comepensates very quickly and very accuratly.

the computer goes into "open loop" mode at 85% throttle or more, and when in open loop goes purly off the O2 sensor and MAF

Tim recommends running Dino oil for the break in, however after calling a few Volvo and Audi service departments *they use OEM garrett turbos on their cars* they said that the turbos PREFER synthetic oil, however when breaking in, you have to run them at 5PSI and boost and cool, boost and cool... my mistake was while driving back to phoenix, the car was never under boost, but the engine was above 3k rpm's the whole time.

So these are the things i learned from my experience. I will get some photos whenever i get off my lazy ass and take some, and get them developed *no digi cam*

oh, and at 8 psi, at WOT hitting 5.5k in 4th gear, i am only using 52% of the Maf's available range...
Old 10-21-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Re: help me fix the computer.

QUOTE (azwildfire)
Last weekend Tim and i turboed an 04 CVVT MAF engine. (my 04 elantra)

i was able to get all my fuel trims within 5% using the SAFC II (running 340 injectors) however, i can not, for the life of me, keep the GD rubber cupplers on the intake piping to keep from blowing off! i think i will adjust some of the fitment of the intercooler piping and perhaps that will help.

Anyone have any idea's or secrets to keeping these couplers on?

There are a few things you can do.
Use i think they are called "T bolt" clamps as well as putting a bead around the intercooler piping. If Tim made your piping and didnt put that bead on, smack him for me smile.gif
Also I've head of people using some kind of spray adhesive and then putting the piping on. If you do this I wouldn't use anything too strong that might permanently glue the coupler to the piping...
good luck smile.gif
Old 10-21-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Toronto Area Meet

oh tim will be smacked and the list is long tongue.gif but he means well!

he already said he would put beads on em tongue.gif biggest reason i think they keep blowing off is because of the oil

Speaking of, I found out why i am blowing oil.... in the old non cvvt units, they are 80 PSI at the pressure sensor at idle, and spike up to 90-95...

in the CVVT units, because the oil pressure runs the CVVT runners, the idle pressure should be in the 90-95 psi and can spike over 120 PSI depending on CVVT duty cycle. This is what the hyundai service manager at bell road automall said.

maybe that is why i blew a seal? perhaps should re tap the oil line from the allen wrench area, will just bring some penetrating fluid.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: As promised... WORK WORNING, HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!

Damn you for getting yours in before mine.... just a question---you don't have to answer if you don't want.... did Tim charge you for the install?

I'm bringing my ride into a shop this next week to finish the job. Looks like the head isn't clean/torqued down right, and I'm leaking fluid... and my timing is off. Shoulda never messed with the damn head.

Keep us posted on your adventure! Its exciting to see the fellowship of Speed-Factor coming together LOL lol.gif
Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Possible Vice President?

Yeah Tim charged me, but it wasnt outrageous... i am/was more then happy to pay for his time away from his family and yadda yadda.

All in all i am happy with the deal, and tim went above and beyond what he had too a few times... so NOOO complaints... except i wish his son wouldnt have been hurt so we had more time for my car tongue.gif JK
Old 10-21-2004, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: FS : Green Neons (Int. and Underbody)

whoa whoa whoa, what is this business with the MAF only being at 52%? 8O :?: 8O
Old 10-22-2004, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: Noisy shocks...

For the rubber coupler's try using a size smaller. Heat them up with boiling water and then put them on. Should keep them in place.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Blue and Amber Haloz

now get cam and take some pix smile.gif
Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: 04 CVVT Turboed - Speed Factor kit

soon as i get a new turbo that isnt blowing oil from tim.... i will smile.gif
Old 10-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Custom gauges

Off topic posts deleted.

Cut out the off topic shit. Email someone or PM them. If they don't respond to either, then post your OWN thread.

This is a warning, official type, to the persons involved.