Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Very happy man, a must read

Old 03-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very happy man, a must read

Sorry if this has been done before but i havnt seen it, and not all will apply as its a paste from what i posted on the UK site so just ignore the meet parts. It sound so simple what i did but the differance is outstanding.

Right im not going to give a full description on this now, im going to take my time to write it properly(maybe for an FAQ or how to) and ill show people visually at the next meet.

Well you know how our gear boxes are renound for bieing a little sloppy and having to much play on the gearstick. Well not anymore, my gearchanges and general feel are now 10X better than when i bought the car brand new. i actually cant wait to take the wife to ASDA latter just so i can drive it again.

I decided to examine and strip the gear linkages down on the gearbox side as i wasnt happy with the feel after i had the clutch fitted. Two things i found

1. A rubber gromit that was there had a huge amount of freeplay behind it, 1X washer problem solved.

2. When i took out the linkage itself there is a peg on the end that fits in between two shelves to move part of the gearing up and down. Well this had a good 3.5mm of free play between the peg and the shelves. So i machined down a pice of 8mm internal dia bar so that there was about 0.5-1mm free play and just slotted this on the peg as a sleave.

After reasembling everything the gear changes are so much firmer with it going directly into gear, hell of a lot less free play and it just feels so much better to drive. Obviously it doesnt sort out problems like being a git going into reverse but it does sort out the sloppyness problem and the loosness of the gearing and all for a washer and a metal sleave.

As i said ill do a propper how to with pics etc as its a bit hard to explain fully, especially without me knowing all the correct names for everything.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:32 AM

swite!

you got email

[ March 25, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]
Old 03-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Jon

Well just to keep people posted on a little more info(even though it seems everyone is happy with thier sloppy gears), I was on AIM last night with Shadohh while i went through what to do and weve discovered a couple of things. Relating to the second mod You know the early gear boxes had a lot of play and Hyundai did something to sort this out a little, well it looks like weve found what it is and its very simple to sort out.

Secondly relating to the first mod, at appears this as not been changed at all and the simple use of a washer, or in Shadohh's case with a worn rubber bush so 2 X washers, Makes the left to right throw a little smaller, the gear change feel a hell of a lot better and it even seems to locate the gears better.

I am stripping down all of the linkages this weekend to see if there are any other parts that can be altered and Shadohh is looking into a certain linkage to see if the front to rear throw can be shortened as i will.

I will keep anyone who is interested posted on the results, but already myself and Shadohh have gear changes that feel a hell of a lot better for virtually no cost, so hopefully this weekend will reveal more parts that can be sorted out giving even better results. If not even this tiny mod makes a hell of a lot of differance.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:34 AM

Well, I for one is interested in this "mod"; I'm just waiting for some pics smile.gif
Please keep us updated.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:36 AM

Please post some pics, I am very intersted in doing this but not able to figure out what I need to do from your description.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2003, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

yup ... me too ... I want pics.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:14 PM

dude, get that how-to done. me wantee. smile.gif
Old 03-26-2003, 01:43 PM

good job dude

you should also try the clutch release restrictor removal trick
it has a nice effect too
Old 03-26-2003, 04:29 PM

I found two other mods for tightening up the shifter.

After going over them with Jon, we will post it all.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Yer killing me here ... teasing us with the thought of new mods with no deatils .... are these mods that anybody should be able to do themselves?