Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

transmission failure

Old 08-04-2002, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jmontigny:
Here is what I have seen as far as trans replacement goes. Hyundai will not replace complete manual transaxle, unless there is a very good reason to. Regardless the DPSM would have to approve the replacement. Manual transmission are all repaired by the dealer. I have not heard of any reman manual trans program as of yet. The automatics are a different story. Hyundai replaces automatic transmissions everyday with reman units. Hyundai only lets the dealer replace basic items on the auto like the end clutch or kickdown servo, any other repairs call for a complete reman unit.
Hyundai will replace the complete transmission if the case is cracked or damaged. If you got to a dealership where they sell lots of cars a do alot of service work, they can usually push stuff like this under warranty. There DPSM will usually not question there reason for replacement due to high volume of sales and service work.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Jmontigny

I've heard of both manuals AND autos being swapped out with re-manufactured units.

For manuals, I have heard of 2.
The first, Hyundai/dealership wanted $500 to go with a new manual tranny vs a remanufactured one that would have been covered under warranty. The owner chose to spend the $500 for a new tranny. Dealership claimed the $500 price was the price difference for them between a new manual and a remanufactured manual.

The other, they would simply NOT do a new tranny unless the car owner paid the FULL PRICE for the new tranny (nice dealership scam).

I have heard of MANY auto trannies being replaced with remanufactured units and a few with new autotrannies. The majority are the remanufactured units. Every case of a "new" tranny it was always a "new" model year car with less than 10K miles on it.

[ August 05, 2002, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-04-2002, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

I question where the dealer that has done 2 reman 5spd transaxles got them since hyundai motor america does not offer reman 5spd transaxles (someone correct me if I am wrong since I am a hyundai parts manager and would hope that I have the right info). I would be willing to bet they put in a used junkyard tranny and called it a reman.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:05 AM

Random:
Some of the early 97's (revision-A's) had bad syncro's, and those were replaced under warranty via a TSB. Even if your Revision-A is no longer underwarranty, Hyundai should replace the synco's due to the TSB under warranty.
RANDOM!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BROUGHT THIS UP NOW!!!!! eek! eek!

I happen to have a '97 rev-A 5speed that had about 90k on the tranny and about 3 months ago i posted that my 2nd gear synchro was going out on me and you never mentioned a TSB warranty!! (i'm not exactly sure what a TSB warranty is but i'm pretty sure i didn't have to spend money!)

I ended up going to AAMCO and spending $2230 to REBUILD my tranny! They said i needed a whole new set of synchro's (they stated i couldn't just get 1 for my 2nd gear) a new 2nd gear and reverse gear new bearings, new master cylinder and slave cylinder and some other stuff i can't remember for the tranny. Is there anyway hyundai can help me? I busted @#! trying to save up that money only to find out i had to rebuild my tranny. WTF?

Rich.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:18 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Why didnt you try the dealer? rolleyes.gif
Old 08-05-2002, 07:18 AM

cause he had a 97 tib and it was out of warranty. i wouldn't have taken it to my dealer if that was the case, either. they can't even handle a simple oil change w/o an hour plus wait, and they have only one hyundai mechanic and like 53 chrysler/mazda/etc mechs at my dealership. they have 0 respect for my ride, hyundais are always last. to top it all off, the hour plus wait is due to the oldest man in the world whose description of the problem is "it just doesn't sound right." like the techs can figure that out.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:41 AM

sorry, i have a good dealer.

And he said the car had 90k on it i.e. 10k under the end of the warranty...
Old 08-05-2002, 07:44 AM

skierd:
sorry, i have a good dealer.

And he said the car had 90k on it i.e. 10k under the end of the warranty...
no man, his tib's from 1997. they didn't have the 100k warranty yet sad.gif before 1999 we were out of luck
Old 08-05-2002, 08:06 AM

suckage...
Old 08-05-2002, 12:30 PM

Koreandude:
you never mentioned a TSB warranty!! (i'm not exactly sure what a TSB warranty is but i'm pretty sure i didn't have to spend money!)
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin (like a recall)

I doubt they would've rebuilt your tranny for free, they are only accountable for the synchros seeing as your warranty was up.