Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Tranny cooler install

Old 02-05-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooler install

Brendan,
After reading your website several times and reading how many automatic tranny failures there have been I installed an automatic transmission cooler on my 99 Elantra. Hopefully this will lower my chances of a premature failure. I decided to install mine in line with the existing cooling system. I also chose to mount mine in front of the A/C condenser. The model I chose was the smallest one available at Pep Boys. The cost for the kit was $29.99. The kit had everything that you need to install the cooler. The only tools that you need are pair of pliers, a screwdriver, and our trusting 10mm socket.
The problems were easily overcome but here they are. First the instructions recommend that you install the hoses to the cooler in a loop before mounting it to the condenser or the radiator. You will want to do this. The hose is incredibly difficult to attach to the cooler. It is even more so when it is already mounted to the condenser. The hoses fit fine on to all of the factory connections. Also be aware that the cooling fans are sharp. I have several small cuts on my hands from them. This is also from trying to attach the hoses at the wrong time.
Although we all know that this is not a performance improvement it is very cheap transmission security. I can not afford to have my car in the shop for a replacement. I know the tranny would be covered under the warranty but I would be without transportation until it was completed. I would also like to say that I bough some Red Line oil “Water Wetter”. It is about 6 bucks at Pep Boys. This product has long been proven to reduce engine temps by up to 20 degrees. On a car with a 50/50 mix in the radiator it will reduce the head temps by 10 degrees. This product is worth the money if you have any type of forced induction or you run your engine hard. You can research this product on the web. On cars with 100% water in the radiator it will reduce engine temps by 20 degrees. That could be very helpful to those of you on race day.
I would like to give special thanks to Brendan who has tested and tried so many products and posted that information for all of us to view.
Jon
Old 02-05-2002, 02:19 AM

Don't forget you still have to change your tranny fluid every 24k. Thanks for the words of support, now I feel like going and testing some more stuff out again smile.gif . The one thing that we all miss from FXtreme is the research that was done, guys like Red ( who is here now ) Onpol, Chris, Bry, Helspa, Speedracer, Tom, and many more put their knowledge together.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:05 AM

you have to change it every 24k? really. oops. i should get a tranny cooler too. damn car. so its not that hard to install? maybe ill grab one this weekend. does it really matter where i mount it
Old 02-05-2002, 03:17 AM

Mount it where ever it gers air flow, infront the rad/rad fan is a good place.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:59 AM

I plan on changing mine for the first time soon. I only have 59K miles on the original fluid. I thought I could wait until 60k. I will be changing over to Mobil One ATF. That is my first choice but I may use B&M trick shift fluid or Royal purple. Do you change yours yourself Brendan? Any tips or advice for doing it yourself. BTW how much fluid does it take?
Old 02-05-2002, 02:38 PM

Use REDLINE Tranny Fluid when you flush out your tranny fluid.Is the best on the market!
Im planning on switching to Redline soon!!
Old 02-06-2002, 12:37 AM

I let the dealer do the flush, it was actually cheaper to let them do it since it was an oil change, tune up, brakes, rad fluid all for $300 can,