Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Tiburon stuck in park

Old 12-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Tiburon stuck in park

Saw a craigslist ad for a 2006 Tiburon with 103K miles. Body and interior is mint shape and they are asking $1100 for the car. They stated that it's stuck in park and the gear shift (automatic) wont move. What could possibly cause that problem and would you most likely have to buy a whole new tranny or something else? Thinking about getting it to have another Tib in the driveway but not sure what I would be getting into since the tranny is stuck.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Shift cable or brake pedal switch are my guess'. I'm sure the trans is fine.

Go over and see if the brake lights come on when you hit the pedal. If they don't, the brake pedal switch, which is $10 and easy to replace, is at fault. Replaced a few in 05-09 elantras/sonatas. I think tiburons are a similar set up. The PCM/TCM doesn't recognize the pedal being pushed down and there for wont let you shift into gear

To check the shift cable, use the key to hit the shift lock on the gear selector panel and go through the gears
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Turn the ignition on and hit the brake pedal. If you don't hear the shift lock solenoid, check the brake lights. If they don't work, check the fuse, then replace the switch. If they do work, but you still don't hear the solenoid, unplug the solenoid and check for power coming on when you hit the brakes. If there's power, replace the solenoid. If there's no power, consult a wiring diagram and start checking wires.