Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Squeaky clutch pedal

Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tibby
Default Squeaky clutch pedal

Does anyone know what causes a clutch pedal to start squeaking when you push the pedal down? Mine started doing this all of a sudden over the weekend. Its not slipping and performs great. The pedal is just annoying when I press it.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM

QUOTE (TibbyGirl @ Jul 26 2010, 11:27 AM)
Does anyone know what causes a clutch pedal to start squeaking when you push the pedal down? Mine started doing this all of a sudden over the weekend. Its not slipping and performs great. The pedal is just annoying when I press it.

Hyundai's are terrible for this issue.
Pop your hood and have a friend work the clutch.... check to see if the squeek is coming from the transmission or the clutch pedal inside the cabin....
if it's in the cabin... regrease everything you can see and your done...
if your noise is coming from engin bay.......
look at the top of the transmission.... the slave cylinder is connected to the clutch release lever via a pin. remove the pin and check the clevis and pin for any signs of wear... if any exists replace the worn part.... if not regrease everything before assembly....
now, remove the nut on top of the clutch release lever.... there is a plastic bushing under the lever....
replace this bushing.... lightly grease it before replacing it..... there is a TSB for this in the USA.....
if this does not solove your problem.... you have to split the motor / tranny and replace the lower bushing on the clutch release shaft....
it's a good idea to replace both bushings any time you do a clutch change.....
Old 07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Yep. The bushing on the top is the culprit most of the time. You have to remove the clutch lever on the top of the transmission. Finagle the bushing out, grease it, put it back in.

You can try the other stuff as well. That top bushing usually is the problem though.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM

greasing the bushing doesnt work every time....
there is a tsb for replacement of these bushings because the old material wore out too fast.. the new bushings are a slightly differant material and design....
fixed my squeek after greasing the bushing didnt help for more than an hour.....
Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

2 years ago I had this problem. I just dozed WD-40 all over the part and it stopped. One guy told me to take everything apart and grease it.. another guy told me to not touch anything and doze it with WD-40. I'm glad I listened to the latter.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
DTN

They say to replace the bushings. I've found greasing them works great. If you're changing the clutch, then there is no reason not to replace the bushings. For standard squeek maintenance, just grease them.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm not sure having a liquid lubricant on a loose bushing directly over the clutches housing is such a great a idea. Grease won't drip onto your clutch or pressure plate.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I want a brain like Stocker.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 AM
DTN

It's not right above the clutch. There's no interaction. The release fork bar is located beside and in front of the clutch. The release forks connect to the stationary portion of the throw-out bearing. I don't see that being a problem.. However, with WD-40, you will not get longevity. Grease will last, WD40 collects dust and dries up.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's not right above. It's in the vicinity. It's not a good idea. DTN raises the other problem with WD-40: it's the opposite of grease when it comes to long-term lubrication. If you HAVE to spray something liquid, at least get a grease, not a light/evaporating oil.