Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Are SPEC clutches still junk?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default Are SPEC clutches still junk?

I remember reading that a lot of people have seemed to have a lot of issues with SPEC clutches and that they dont hold up well.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I got one for the Genesis. Thought the chattering would break in... between that and other issues with that car I am now driving an Elantra GT. Do not recommend. If you have a race car and want a cheap clutch that works well and dont give a crap about drive-ability - go for it.

Note: I drive way the hell to much and too many things came up as needing replaced all at the same time - combined with that ultra expensive dual mass it wasn't worth keeping it around. It wasn't just the clutch, but it was annoying enough to factor into the call to trade it in.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

^ Remember the dual mass flywheel acts as a sound inhibitor too, so if you went from a dual mass to a single mass...you'll get a lot of noise from just about any clutch.

But as to what the OP asked..yes...SPEC clutches grenade pretty easily. They're cheaper than just about any other clutch out there, and right around the same quality as Act. Spend the extra hundred or two and get a better quality clutch and flywheel combo. You'll be happier in the long run and have much less issues.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i had ZERO issues with my ACT.

iirc i had 3 spec clutches go bad, with one exploding and taking out my starter and flywheel

its why i have a fidanza now in the first place

jongtr is a spec clutch hater as well. his springs popped out i think
Old 04-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

If I recall right, I think Jaws back in the day also had 2 or 3 Spec clutches explode as well. The only reason why he kept putting them in his car is because they warrantied them out for him. One of the reasons why he went through so many transmissions. lol
Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Originally Posted by Visionz
^ Remember the dual mass flywheel acts as a sound inhibitor too, so if you went from a dual mass to a single mass...you'll get a lot of noise from just about any clutch.

Yep the rattle crap from the lack of a dual mass wasn't what bothered me. It was the inability to go backwards/in traffic without the car going spazz out mode. You had to speed match it.. period or it would shutter/go nuts. Not a problem going forward with any hint of normal acceleration to it and felt awesome when hauling ass or down shifting. However, really annoying with the level of pissy it was going in reverse when I didn't want to be going backwards at 15/20mph. Even more crazy pissy trying to go slow backwards on an incline. That or when creeping a bit forward in traffic. I have driven other performance clutches and that was a bit on the silly side for a mild upgrade.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

This doesn't necessarily apply because the question was are they "still" junk. My problems happened almost 10 years ago. The clutches were junk, and the customer service was just as bad.

My Spec clutch issues:

Then got another on warranty and had this happen:

Old 04-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Administrator

I sure hope their quality got better over the years, but I have a feeling it's still about the same. So I wouldnt chance buying one.