Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Are SPEC Clutches any good?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 elantra md
Default Are SPEC Clutches any good?

Clutch is slipping a tiny bit so Im shopping around now for a new one. How do the SPEC clutches compare to some of the other Ebay clutches out there?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Good god no
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I shattered 2 of them, and that was on low boost. Several others have done the same thing with Spec clutches. When I called in, they treated me like sh*t, called me a liar, and refused to admit that there were any other incidents like mine.

Clutchnet held together better, but they screwed up on shaving the spline shaft on the disc. It shredded my input shaft on my tranny. Others have had better experience though.

Right now I have an ACT. It's great! It was also the best clutch on the Z.

IMO, go with what you need and don't overkill. If you're stock or n/a, go with a purely street clutch. "Stage 1" or whatever they may call it. The more powerful clutches tend to grenade on themselves due to shock.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

ACT clutchs =awesome
ACT customer support =awesome

Just just spend a little bit more for them.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

When I was pushing about 270whp on the stock engine I had a spec stage 3. Held up good and had zero problems. Now that I am running about 400whp I'm running a stage 5 as it was the ONLY clutch I could find rated to handle my power. After I first installed it I found out the center hub on my pressure plate was defective. SPEC didn't warranty it but gave me a decent discount on a new clutch. Put that one in and have had zero problems.

I think in general SPEC clutches are decent but the customer service ain't that great. If ACT made a clutch that could handle my power I would have bought one as I hear nothing but good things about them.