Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Shift Knob

Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Shift Knob

Ok, so it's been about 7 months since I messed with my shift..because my car has been out of commission..but, I'm pretty sure it doesnt feel right now..we did a complete engine swap, took the tranny off and everything..took all the linkages off.

Now we've got everything back in..I noticed the shifter wasnt feeling right..it would go into gear, but it had room enough to basically make a circle around the whole shift console..so, I looked at the links..the bolts had been left out.

I managed to find one..so I put it in, it feels a bit better, but it still feels too wobbly in gear and comes back way too far..with my e-brake on, my hand is basically sitting on it..that's for reverse. I know for a fact it wasnt like that before..

My question is, would that other bolt make that much difference? or is there some way I can tighten the cables to the shifter or something..I searched for "shifter" and went through all 12 pages..didnt find anything on it. except for busted bushings..but if I'm recalling correct, mine looked fine.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm pretty much positive that you'll want to put all the bolts back in.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

That's what I figured, but we unfortunately lost the two bolts..found one that fit, but the head was too small, so i threw a washer on it and called it a-day.

Does anyone happen to know the thread size? I'm gonna stop by a store and see if I can find a couple around the right size.

Also, once I put this bolt in, should it feel like normal again? and if not, what else should I do? I know my cousin was playing with the shifter while the engine/tranny was out, would this have done anything?