Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

rev limiter on auto?

Old 05-19-2002, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tib
Default rev limiter on auto?

is there a rev limiter on an auto cause when I race i can't rev it over 2rpm's in gear?
Old 05-19-2002, 10:36 AM

Yes there is and my rev limiter is at 6500 RPM. What do you mean by 2rmps? 2000?
Old 05-19-2002, 11:01 AM

umm there is no rev limiter in an automatic, it shifts before it gets there, i mean techcially if u put it into neutral and pressed the gas to teh floor it mite bounce off of one, but im not crazy so i dont do that
Old 05-19-2002, 11:34 AM

I have (several times) put the car in neutral and revved it to its redline. My Elantra has a really wierd rev limiter. Also if you manual shift it from L-2-D at red line each time you might hit the redline as I do often wink

By the way Viper966, don't say that there isn't if you don't know for sure. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

TiburonGuy99 you need to do a little research on the physics working in a torque converter.

Automatics don't have a clutch, they have a torque converter. It's a fluid coupling that lets the engine spin and the transmission, not spin. when the engine gets to (about) the stall speed of the converter, in gear, with the brakes applied, the engine will either stop spinning faster, or if it's powerful enough overcome the brakes and start you rolling forward.

Put another way, if you could rev your automatic to redline, in gear, with brakes on, you would be in for some very expensive repairs.

It works!

Oh and BTW the next thing you might think is, to get a better launch, rev it high in neutral and then slam the shifter into "D". This is called a "neutral drop" and is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY **BAD** for your your transmission. It's also bad for a standard transmission car, but clutches are a heck of a lot cheaper to replace than transmissions, so DON'T do neutral drops!!! Rev it until it stops increasing speed, and let off the brake when the light goes green.

And don't street race; it's stupid. wink
Old 05-19-2002, 12:10 PM

TiburonGuy99:
is there a rev limiter on an auto cause when I race i can't rev it over 2rpm's in gear?
Well, when I used to race my Tib I would mash the gas and it would rev to at least 5500 before it automatically shifted. I don't race like that anymore though. I'd rather race from point A to point B, from one side of the city to the other just to see who can get there not necessarily the fastest but the quickest. We call them Rat Races. You know like a rat in a maze.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:47 PM

2kElantra_NyteMare:
I have (several times) put the car in neutral and revved it to its redline. My Elantra has a really wierd rev limiter. Also if you manual shift it from L-2-D at red line each time you might hit the redline as I do often wink

By the way Viper966, don't say that there isn't if you don't know for sure. Thanks.
re read my post i never said either way i said that u shouldnt reach the limited in an automtic so it shoulndt be an issue
Old 05-19-2002, 01:37 PM

Stocker:
TiburonGuy99 you need to do a little research on the physics working in a torque converter.

Automatics don't have a clutch, they have a torque converter. wink
Looks like you need to do a little research youself. automatic actually uses 2 internal clutches sometimes more for bigger engines. 1 is a damper clutch, the other is I believe called an engagement clutch. They do not work the same way as a manual clutch, But they do the same thing "engage and disengages the gearing"

And you can get deivces to operate them. As in holding them for a good launch.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:02 PM

There is a rev limiter on the auto. Both auto and manual have rev limiters. Like someone said if you upshift you can hit the limiter. (Avoid doing this!) After I did my mods and put the header in, I had my car in park, rev'd it up and you heard the limiter kick in. So in answer to your question- you do have a rev limiter!
Old 05-19-2002, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

racing bad? lol racing is fun what is the point in suping up your car if you don't race it.

anyways I was saying when i launch i rev low gear 1 with the break on it only goes to 2000 rpm's i wish it went higher my launch it slow everyone beats me off the line then i come back and barley beat them.