Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

odd oil question

Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default odd oil question

hello everyone! been a while since i've posted...have an odd question.

the quick version: 2004 accent, manual trans. normal oil is 75W-90 GL-4. anyone see any problem with topping up with 80W-90? we're talking a couple ounces here.

the long version (bit of ranting): replacing a CV boot tomorrow, that means draining my trans oil. currently have 75W-90 dino oil in there. i am not interested in going synthetic, as some of you might remember although it was amsoil i'm pretty sure that trashed my last transmission and also caused some slight problem with synchros meshing on 3rd gear in my 'new' one. switching to the conventional fixed the issue. so in short, i know most of you have used synthetic and had wonderful results. i'm still not using it, don't care.

so i started a quest to find some regular 75W-90 gear oil....i went to EVERY f*cking store in the city. NOBODY has this. its either GL-5, completely the wrong oil weight, or synthetic (see above). even the DEALER didn't have any to sell. they only have a drum of it in the shop and wouldn't share. bastards. so now i'm forced to reuse this oil (it should be in good shape, was about a year ago it was done) and then i will need to top up anything lost.

only oil i can find is a crap motomaster generic 80W-90 that apparently meets GL-4, 5, and every other spec known to man and may even be suitable for chuck norris to lube his wife up with.

so provided that there is no problem with the oil in the trans when i drain it, we're talking an ounce or two to top it up. i can't see this causing me any trouble. anyone disagree?

thanks guys.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I wouldn't really see any problem in running the trans full of 80w90 as long as it's GL4 approved. The only difference is it's a bit thicker/heavier of an oil.

You seriously can't find ANY GL4 75w90!? Did you try walmart or parts pro (the canadian tire auto parts only store)?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by pas1216
I wouldn't really see any problem in running the trans full of 80w90 as long as it's GL4 approved. The only difference is it's a bit thicker/heavier of an oil.

You seriously can't find ANY GL4 75w90!? Did you try walmart or parts pro (the canadian tire auto parts only store)?

yeah can't find any that is non synthetic. partsource, two CT stores, walmart, carquest, napa, ideal supply (local machine shop/parts store), and finally the dealer. its f*cking bullshit man.

as far as i understand going from 75W to 80W just means that it will be a tad thicker when its cold. i'm more asking how sensitive these things are. from my experience they are rather touchy, but i maintain my accent was built on a friday.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Order some Redline MT-90 GL4 for the next oil change. For this one, you'll be fine on 80W especially if you go easy on it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
Order some Redline MT-90 GL4 for the next oil change. For this one, you'll be fine on 80W especially if you go easy on it.

even though i already said i'm not interested in synthetic, i knew someone would suggest it anyhow.

thanks for the confirmation on 80W at least. i can't see it being trouble, just wanted to see if anyone else sees a problem with it that i'm not.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All synthetics are NOT the same, and rejecting them all because you picked the wrong one is foolish. Redline MT90 is THE best for Hyundai transaxles. Next would be the OEM fluid which is actually pretty good. One would hope it would be good, because they guarantee the gearbox will last you at least 100,000 miles when OEM fluid is changed at the appropriate intervals!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 PM

dealers are put to discretion when it comes to gear oil

as long as its rated at the proper ratings

i worked at 3 different hyundai dealers, none use "hyundai" oil for anything other than auto transmissions

pennzoil, valvoline, kendall
Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
All synthetics are NOT the same, and rejecting them all because you picked the wrong one is foolish. Redline MT90 is THE best for Hyundai transaxles. Next would be the OEM fluid which is actually pretty good. One would hope it would be good, because they guarantee the gearbox will last you at least 100,000 miles when OEM fluid is changed at the appropriate intervals!

since you seem to have forgotten, until you buy it off me its my car to be foolish with. my car will not have synthetic in the gearbox. period. i already stated that but seems i need to again.

and sorry if i don't have faith with synthetic in this gearbox. picked a 75W-90 GL-4, exact spec. how is that the wrong one? oh just wasn't redline, sh*t how stupid of me! result: destroyed transmission, synchro grinding on 3rd AFTER the second one was rebuilt. so no i'm really not interested. a different/better trans one day sure, i'll give it a try.

now how about locking this thread before things get any more stupid?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
now how about locking this thread before things get any more stupid?

You spelled Stocker wrong
Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent, 2007 Kia Spectra

So uh, have you tried synthetic?