Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

New info on clutches

Old 08-18-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New info on clutches

Hope this hasn't been posted already.. but I logged onto the ACT website and dang if they don't have the tiburon clutch as being tested....

I have been harrassing them constantly for two years now.. including sending them a stock clutch and pressure plate to play with. They would not build one due to the high start up cost due to redesigning the pressure plate and their perception that there would be little demand.

Don't ask me about the other clutches... we have tested a large number of them... most fail at around 200-250 Wheel hp. You can make the clutch disk strong enough and the pressure plate could be made to apply enough force.. but then you wouldn't be able to disengage the pressure plate... that is without a complete redesign.

The only clutches that we use in turbocharge conversions... 250+++ wheel hp is either the HKS twin plate or Ogura twin plate... converted twin push type 200mm clutches (vs the stock single plate pull type 215mm) But these are VERY expensive.

I shot off an email to ACT today and will follow up with a phone call.

Will let you guys know as things develop.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Contact Rob@hyundaiperformance.com

We met with the President of ACT at the Rim of the World Rally in Palmdale, CA.

He said that he was willing to built a Hyundai Tiburon Clutch, if someone would only send him a stock pressure plate and clutch.

Sounds like you have been getting a different story that what Rob and I got. Rob has all the contact info of who we talked to.

[ August 19, 2002, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-18-2002, 07:06 PM

great... this sucks

Hopefully the KORE stage 4 will last
frown
Old 08-19-2002, 02:22 AM

Me ...like ACT Clutch.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:30 AM
Red

Yeah, this is my next technical hurdle right here... Getting a clutch. Sounds like Onpol has already beat me to the punch here, so I'm sure he's wanting it even more than I am.

I will spend $1000 on a twin plate if I absolutely need to, although I'm not looking forward to converting my transmission to a pull-type. Grr.. But I'd much rather have something that's a drop-n-go, even if it's the same cost.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:29 AM
Jon

Hopefully they will ship to the uk as im having a nightmare finding a clutch here with helix being the only one.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:15 PM

I sent Jim Johnson a clutch and pressure plate 2 years ago.

Hope they didn't lose it.