Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

My clutch finally bit the dust

Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon
Default My clutch finally bit the dust

After almost 10 years of being on the stock clutch, my car has finally said no more and needs replacement. It starting to slip and before it gets too bad I want to buy a new one to swap in. How are these clutches for our cars with the basic mods? It says it can handle up to 214 hp which is more than enough for what I have.

http://www.allreplacement.com/index....roduct_id=1287

Thats a really good price and I think I'm going to look around for a light weight flywheel to go with it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I think that is a nice price for a stock clutch with a blue painted pressure plate.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I got a stock replacement kit like that on eBay for about $100 so I'd have to concur with ^
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon

Ok thanks. But if thats just a stock replacement then how come the stock clutch cant handle more than 200 hp without slipping? I have read that people who do a 75 shot of nitrous have trouble with their stock clutches. The one I linked seems to have a little more holding power than OEM.

Would this be a better clutch than for only a few dollars more?

http://www.allreplacement.com/index....roduct_id=7503
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I am going to go with they are full of it and know 99.9% of those that buy it wont come close to putting out enough torque to instantly slip a stock clutch. The number that make or modify our Pressure plates is very small. XTD is full of it, but they use red paint. However with them you get a different clutch so it can grip a little better than stock.

The second one you linked is using a kevlar clutch and I would guess a stock PP. I am not sure if that friction material provides extra grip. It does have this neat feature that if you overheat it, it goes back to normal and doesn't get all fuxored like an organic disc.

http://www.customcarscentral.com/act...i-tiburon.html

I didn't take a long time looking for someone that sells it and I know you can find it cheaper than this.. or a better one if you are serious about pushing a lot of power.