Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

M/T tranny owners – how often do you stall out?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon Beta
Default M/T tranny owners – how often do you stall out?

I have been driving a manual for many years and consider myself a pro when driving a M/T but I still have those moments when I’m not paying attention and I’ll lift my foot or something and the car will stall.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

I took my old Tiburon on a test drive from the dealer, my dad taught me standard in 2 minutes on a side road, drove it home 5 hours that day no problem and I've stalled it maybe twice in the 5 years I've driven standard.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I have 2 autos and 1 standard. The standard rarely gets driven. I find when I drive in 5th for a long time (highway) then exit the freeway, I'll completely forget about shifting! It's like "oh ya, I forgot!" LOL!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I stall maybe once every couple of months. I have 5 manual transmission cars with everything from a catchy ceramic clutch to a worn out stock clutch. I never kill one on a "difficult" start, it's almost always due to lack of paying attention to what car I'm in and casually taking off in a car with a lower engagement point.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: x3

Originally Posted by 187sks
I stall maybe once every couple of months. I have 5 manual transmission cars with everything from a catchy ceramic clutch to a worn out stock clutch. I never kill one on a "difficult" start, it's almost always due to lack of paying attention to what car I'm in and casually taking off in a car with a lower engagement point.

ditto. multiple standard cars as well. the newest/freshest clutch in the bunch is the one i've actually stalled. before having multiple cars, maybe twice a year.

ever "put your foot on the clutch" when starting a car or when you're coming to a stop sign only to have your foot hit the floor or the brake pedal hard and be reminded that it's an automatic? that happens at least a few times a month when i drive the wifes car on the weekend.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I managed to stall the automatic yaris at work.

Turns out you need to rev it up in neutral if you want to go from reverse to drive at ~15 mph...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I managed to stall the automatic yaris at work.

Hahaha impressive! Since this is my first Asian car, I've stalled out quite a few times. Mostly when backing up on an incline. The clutch has a lot less play than German and American cars. Which I like, but it does take some time to get used to it. When I got my exhaust installed, they were driving my car onto the lift and they managed to stall it too so I don't feel so bad
Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 1999 Hyundai Accent Hatch

Originally Posted by 187sks
I never kill one on a "difficult" start, it's almost always due to lack of paying attention to what car I'm in and casually taking off in a car with a lower engagement point.
+1 on not paying attention. After driving on the highway for a while I'll pull into a rest stop or into town I tend to forget about the whole clutch thing. I am also guilty of getting excited when we have GC meets and cruises, I ALWAYS stall at a stop light and hold up the group

Originally Posted by jcturbeau
ever "put your foot on the clutch" when starting a car or when you're coming to a stop sign only to have your foot hit the floor or the brake pedal hard and be reminded that it's an automatic?
LOL, YES! This happened a few times when I started driving my Accent instead of my GC.

I stall usually a couple times a month. I spent a lot of time late last year getting used to my new clutch. I had my tranny out for warranty (throw out bearing), tech made a comment about how easy it would be to install a new clutch kit at the time. Within 2 days I had an OS Giken Multiplate clutch and lightweight flywheel delivered and ready to be installed! That thing operates like a light switch and is very unforgiving. Once your muscle memory gets tuned its fine, but make one mistake and EPIC FAIL! I'm sure I'll get better with time and practice though.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Was searching for the clutch on a 90's tahoe automatic today...

First week I had my car, stalled out quite a few times (forced to drive automatics for 3 years, had to get back in the groove)...

Now, it's only on steep grades with someone 2 inches off my ass end, and I dump the clutch to early...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by jcturbeau
ever "put your foot on the clutch" when starting a car or when you're coming to a stop sign only to have your foot hit the floor or the brake pedal hard and be reminded that it's an automatic?

I've done this a few times. Fortunately, I don't drive automatics all that much. My left foot feels weird, just lying there doing nothing.

...kind of like my ex-wife *ZING!*