Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Level10, TC work...

Old 02-12-2003, 08:51 AM
QS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Level10, TC work...

I will be sending in my torque converter to be worked on for the better times an to be able to handle the added stress from going turbo....
I want your opinions on what to get done...As I dont like having a shop tell me what they think would be good...

Lock up / non lock up
Stall speed
etc...

Anyone that has any experience on this, please add your input...
I dont have much knowledge on Trannys....

[ February 12, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: QS ]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:59 AM

well, is this gonna be a daily driver, too? if it is, i would think you'd want a lockup tc. if not, i would think the non-lockup is better. i see what you're saying about the shop telling you what to do, but maybe if you tell them what you plan on doing with this tranny, they'll actually tell you what they think in their professional opinion, not the opinion based on how much money they can get from you.

[ February 12, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:44 PM
QS

Yea, its going to be a daily driver...
Old 02-12-2003, 08:57 PM

QS:
I will be sending in my torque converter to be worked on for the better times an to be able to handle the added stress from going turbo....
I want your opinions on what to get done...As I dont like having a shop tell me what they think would be good...

Lock up / non lock up
Stall speed
etc...

I wish I dont have to repat this. but I do.

A TQ ALONE WONT SAVE YOUR TRANNY FROM A TURBO.

The TQ is simple the matting device between the transmisison and the engine. Such as clutch/flywheel.

The auto also has other internals that need to be reworked.

For one, you will need stronger clutch rings. They can barely handle N/A tuned power. Let alone the power from a turbo.

And the biggest problem with all transmissions is heat. Even the wrx running 300hp. Their biggest problem is heat.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:23 PM
QS

Shadohh:
QS:

Lock up / non lock up
Stall speed
etc...

I wish I dont have to repat this. but I do.

A TQ ALONE WONT SAVE YOUR TRANNY FROM A TURBO.

The TQ is simple the matting device between the transmisison and the engine. Such as clutch/flywheel.

The auto also has other internals that need to be reworked.

For one, you will need stronger clutch rings. They can barely handle N/A tuned power. Let alone the power from a turbo.

And the biggest problem with all transmissions is heat. Even the wrx running 300hp. Their biggest problem is heat.
Ok, my post concerns are of a torque converter.
Not heat or clutch rings. There are guys running turbo on their autos 8psi w/ no problems.
A upgraded TQ will help the longevity of a tranny. Since usually the TQ is of your main concern. Kinda like upgrading your pistions/rods/rings for your engine.
I do have a tranny cooler, an I will upgrade the rest of the tranny when the time comes...
Now if you have any info on TQ please comment.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:53 PM

When you say there are guys running 8psi with autos.

Hyundai ppl? I would love to talk to them.

Only person I know who is runnign turbo with an auto is Lobert. But thats an accent automatic. different beast from a Tiburon automatic.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:32 AM

you're missing the point. if you've ever seen a tc, you'll notice that's it's basically a separate piece from the tranny. ok, so level 10 beefs up the tq to handle 400hp, but your auto tranny dies at 180hp from heat and the clutch rings not holding, so where does that leave you? the tc should be the least of your worries in upgrading your tranny for a turbo, especially the tiburon auto. and when you say you have a tranny oil cooler, i hope you're not talking about the stock unit. if you're gonna do this, do it right and get a higher capacity, better unit.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:22 AM
QS

Ok, I asked for suggestions on torque converters.
I stated I have a tranny cooler, an aftermarket one, along w/ the stock one...
I dont know where you two came to the conclusion that im driving a tiburon.
One easy click on my profile will tell you that i drive an accent...
Old 02-13-2003, 02:33 AM

ohh, yeah....

This ones my bad.

anyone looking for a LEVELTEN TQ is usually running a BETA engine.

Well the accent internals are pretty good for the accent. With the less HP and weight. They automatic works.

Now the quality of internals is the same as the tiburon/elantra.

So once you hit about 160hp. You will be running into the same problems as the Tiburon and Elantra do stock.

The level 10 CONVERTS your TQ into a performance one. They dont sell made up ones, that I am aware of. So if does not matter if it fits or not since its your TQ they will upgrade.

but the basic saying before is. TQ really does not have much to do with the stress from the internals. TQ dont break. internals do. So dont feel like your automatic is better for a turbo with it.

If you dont have TQ lockup, Your gas mileage will suck on the highway when cruizing long distances.

Stall speed I think stock is about 2000-2500.

Stall speed is mainly for launch. So I would look at something liek 3500.

I would not bother your shop, just goto levelten. they have done hyundai trannys before, they do do it. They KNOW what they are doing with them and have been so for a few years now. So they know all the quarks.

You get what you pay for...

[ February 13, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]
Old 02-13-2003, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

Just curious, but would the Valve Body Recalibration help the tranny then?