Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

how long will my clutch/tranny live?

Old 01-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long will my clutch/tranny live?

Ever since i got the car year ago(2k2 GS 5psd 8k milles now)i've abused the tranny like crazy.

this is my fist manual car so first couple thousand milles i gave it so much crap you cant even imagine ... it was horrible i still cant believe i did all that sad.gif

and now i jsut mess up once in a while like grind(happens most often) and make the tranny do that "kick" when going 1 to 2nd gear(usuall only when in high rpm and accelrating quick)... by kick i dont mean power surge i mean when i engage really bad and feel sort of a kick...i guess b/c i dont shift fast eough or rpm of engie dont match the tranny... i am not sure

now i've been working really hard past few weeks on reducing these little *****ups. especially avoiding the "kicks". i hope it is not too late rolleyes.gif sad.gif

i doubt i have done any damage to the transmission itslef but clutch/pressure plate is what i am worried about.

can anyone estimate life span of my clutch after all this crap or jsut tell me what you think? i will be in school for another year or more so i got to plan ahead if something happens to my clutch or transmission.

Random, i know you know a lot about these thigns so i hope you can give me as much info as you can.

thanks in advance guys
Old 01-28-2003, 01:51 PM

hey well join the club man... Thanks to the 10k/10 year waranty i redline the lil engine daily...
I have an auto, but i abuse the living hell out of it.

I too have wondered how long it would last...
And if it would be covered under warantee...
Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Don't worry about the pressure plate. Unless you do something REALLY nasty, it will survive the longest.

The clutch can last well over 100,000 miles. My dad is running at 140,000 miles on his stock cluch in his 1997 1.8L Tibby.

The accents have seemed to have more clutch problems than the tibbies, but, no offense to any accent owners out there, they are also usually owned by younger members who might tend to abuse/misuse their clutch more often.

If you start using your clutch properly, and driving "appropriately"...there's no reason why you shouldn't still be able to get 100K+ miles out of your tranny/clutch.

BTW...that "kick" you mention is probably due to the fact that the engine RPM doesn't match vehicle speed. Try to match vehicle speed to RPM's a little better.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Al

so random, i should be ok for at least 20k even if i grind occasionally?
Old 01-29-2003, 01:52 AM

yeah dude should last at leats that long for ya. i kinda beat on my car a bit and lately ive been beating teh HELL out of it so i can get a new tranny under waranty before i get my turbo and i just popped the tarnny last night at ~43k miles. im pretty sure it was the clutch and clutch bearing that messed up but the syncros are shot anyays so its going to the dealer tonite. but it should last you way more than 40-50k if you dont beat on it from now on.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:02 PM

Make sure you have adequite gear oil too. Not enough oil will 'cause your gear box to run hotter which will destroy everything!! My friends gearbox with 100k+ miles had destroyed itself to bits (diff. blew up punching a hole in his tranxaxle) becuase it was low on gear oil and he ran it hard. So just remember to keep it lubed up.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Al

is gera oil same as transimision flid? how can i check it?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:13 AM

I make smooth shifts but I also make them at high rpms. I usually shift around 4k normally, but at least once a day get a 6.5k shift in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Is this going to significantly shorten my clutch life? Tranny itself?

I'm hoping (if funds come through) to get a turbo for my 99 Tiburon. If I'm looking at 220ish whp, will I need to "baby" my tranny more? Will 6500 rpm shifts kill it? Will I need to get a new stage 2/3 clutch?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:58 PM

KevDog, you will certainly want to get a new clutch! Stage 2 might be okay but I would go with the stage 3 if I were you. If you do the turbo kit install yourself (as I am planning on) you might want to crack open your tranny and replace any and all worn part ESPECIALLY your syncros (as I am also planning on). It's not really hard as far as I can say to rebuild an engine or tranny if you've got the proper tools and a good manual (I would recommend Haynes). It's more time consuming than anything. Just buy a 2nd beater POS rust bucket crap mobile trash on wheels $200 car for the time that you spend doing the turbo and transmission instead of taking it to a shop. Save a lot of money, get a 2nd EVERYEVERYDAY car and get some nice tools like a torque wrench and a nice set of sockets and wrenches that you get to keep. Along with that, the bragging rights to say you did it yo'self! Just my 2cents.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:52 AM

is gera oil same as transimision flid? how can i check it?
No, they are not the same. You use gear oil since you have a standard transmission and manualy angage the gears, there for you have a lot of friction. It's also alot thicker and greenish in a way. Automatics use transmission fluid. It's a thinner oil since these trannies work with oil pressure to engage automatically. It's thin and red. If you wanna check your oil, there's a plug on the front side of the transmission. You should check this on a leveled surface. It should be leveled with the hole. smile.gif