Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

how to fix ss bushings...

Old 01-04-2003, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix ss bushings...

there was a recent post about this. i just did this today, and it works great. it costs about $1. get a piece of 3/8" rubber hose, like radiator hose or something at discount auto. all you need is about an 1 1/2 inches. i measured the piece on my index finger up to the first knuckle from the tip. you need the hose to touch the bottom of the shift plate and be flush (or almost flush) with the top of the horseshoe shaped shifter piece. basically, just cram the piece of hose in there. the nub/nipple, whatever you wanna call it on my obx ss fits perfectly snug in the hose. i had to shave the hose on the outside with a pearing knife because 3/8" was a little too big, but i had it lying around, so i made it fit. that's it. now you have a solid bushing, or something like it, to take the slack out of the ss!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 01:40 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Reviving a dead post ...

Do you have pics of this? ... where are you putting the hose?

on the top of the shifter on that "nipple" between the spring clip?
Old 03-01-2003, 05:43 AM

well, the my suspicions were correct. i figured the constant pressure from the nipple on the bottom of the shifter would eat away at the rubber. some of the slack has come back, but not all. the nipple i'm talking about is the one that moves the u-shaped control arm on the bottom of the shifter. i'm going to try this mod with metal pipe.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:00 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Lemme know how it works ... I wanna do it too.