Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Home made 'short shifter'?

Old 12-16-2002, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made 'short shifter'?

I was wondering if anyone thought it could be possible, using the proper tools to create a 'short shifter' from there existing shift lever.
I thought it could be done by using a proper steel cutting saw {hack saw}, cutting down the shaft, then using a threading machine to re-thread the shaft to allow the shift knob to be reinstalled.
Any possible reasons why this wouldn't work out?

[ December 17, 2002, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: ELANTRAVISION ]
Old 12-16-2002, 10:16 PM

I did this exact same thing on my shifter for my tib. Took it out, and cut it with a cutting wheel on my dremel tool. After that i got a die nut from home depot and threaded new threads on it. (hint use cutting oil, it helps a LOT). I also took that opprtunity to replace all the bearings and bushings in the shifter assembly, as i had bout 45k on the clock at that point.
Impressions? Great improvment with the bushing replace, was like 10 bux in parts from the dealer, the throw on the shifter did feel "different" and technically it IS shorter, but it is a far cry from a TRUE short shifter. I have enjoyed it greatly, especially as I don't have funds to get a TRUE ss. Was it worth it?
Yes it was, to get the hands-on expierence of disassembling tib's shifter and to do the bushing swap.

If you do this, it will feel different, but nowhere as different as a TRUE ss.

Just my rambling .02 here this morning =)
Old 12-17-2002, 07:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I was actually considering doing the same (cutting the stock shifter) but you mention replacing th bushings, is there anywhere else to get a better replacement than those from the dealer? What is the best length to cut off of the shift arm?
Old 12-17-2002, 02:04 PM

What made Trypgod's shifter project feel better and different afterwards was the bushing replacements. Having 45000 miles clocked on the shifter, changing the bushing will make it feel like new. As well, he choped it.
And like he says, it's NOT a TRUE SS. THE THROW IS EXACTLY THE SAME. It'll feel shorter because he choped it, but the throw length is IDENTICAL. Just at a lower height. ELANTRAVISION, If you do a search, you'll find choping the stock shifter has been discussed. smile.gif
Old 12-17-2002, 10:00 PM

Yes, the THROW is exactially the same, and I will agree that most of my improvments can be traced to the bushink replacment. (btw, i as well searched for replacments not of stock, couldn't source them, so went with OEM instead).

BUT! even though the throw is the same distance, with having cut down the shifter, my hand has to travel less distance overall to perform the same "throw", hence my statment of a slight improvment. I never meant that the throw itself was altered, and I should have been clearer in explaining myself in my last post.

In conclusion, if you want to shorten the throw itself, buy a ss, or engineer a true one yourself. But if you want something a lil bit different, then i totally reccommend this mod, especially for the fundage-challenged.

btw, i cut it off about 1 and 1/2 inches above the little "flare" that is above the topmost bend in the lever, and threaded down to the "flare". But of course, that depends on personal tastes ==)

[ December 18, 2002, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Trypgod ]
Old 12-19-2002, 01:01 PM

You can also use a Eagle Talon 92-95 shifter too.
Do a search someone posted it. Looks Tight too!
smile.gif
Old 12-22-2002, 07:44 AM

You can use a Talon or Eclipse shifter, but there are some mods needed as it will not fit right up. I happen to have a shifter out of a Talon, if anyone wants it, they can have it, just pay for shipping.

bdillon08@attbi.com
Old 12-22-2002, 01:02 PM

Why play around? Just buy the damn B&M Short Shifter (for a lower sitting shift knob) or the Shark Racing Short Shifter (little lower than stock and MUCH shorter throw).
Old 12-22-2002, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

i cut the threaded part off just above the top bend and then cut the rest off down to the fork and welded the little shaft with the threads back on....short as hell just enough room to titen the know down on top of the shift boot bushing
Old 12-24-2002, 01:53 AM

Fast.Type-S:
Why play around? Just buy the damn B&M Short Shifter (for a lower sitting shift knob) or the Shark Racing Short Shifter (little lower than stock and MUCH shorter throw).
So does the B&M shorten the throw or just the height?