Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

engine/tranny rebuild, S-AFC didnt ruin waranty

Old 05-08-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine/tranny rebuild, S-AFC didnt ruin waranty

well that basicly says it all, i melted 4th gear the other day and took my car in to have it looked @. they sent the car to a tranny shop and theyre rebuilding it.

for the last 3 months or so theres been a knock to the engine, @ first i thought it was piston slap, but i realised that when i pushed the clutch in the sound almost went away so i lightbulb poped on and well i figured it was just a throwout bearing and could wait till i put in my new stage 3 clutch. but then damnit it started getting HOT so i turned on the A/C one day and OMG that little knock wasnt so little anymore. after about 5 mins of listening and proding i soon realised that it wasnt anything to do with the A/C system so my conclusion was main bearing (reason being, the extra strain on the engine made the noise louder) well it seems i was right (they havent pulled the engine apart but the mechanic's seem to agree) so my engine is being rebuilt. the mechanic asked me what that "thing" is and pointed the the S-AFC, so i told him straight up what it is, what it can do, and my turbo plans. hes even offered to help with parts, and **** lol but yeah, all my settings were @ zero, and he took my word that i havent had it messing with the signals.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:53 AM
BV1

Its cool the warranty is covering your rebuild, if you dont mind me asking though, who tuned tour S-AFC, did you do it yourself or did you get it done professionally? I just got one.
-Steve
Old 05-08-2002, 02:03 PM

it hasnt been tuned yet. i just put it in to see what it would look like rolleyes.gif

actually i probibly wont have a need for it, but DONT "TUNE IT YOURSELF"!!!!!!!!!!! youll **** up your car! spend the $100 to have it dyno tuned and save yourself the cost of an engine rebuild! i repeat; DONT TRY TO TUNE IT YOURSELF, LEAVE ALL SETTINGS @ 0.

just a bit of input... but its your engine. rolleyes.gif
Old 05-08-2002, 02:12 PM
BV1

Well I am going to use a dyno machine, but I assume that I am going to have to adjust the S-AFC based on what the dyno tells me..... I guess I will move it a lil at a time, and see if I get more HP. I heard rumours the tradionally our cars run rich, and backing off about 17% on the top end improves HP... Any insite?
-Steve
Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 PM

bv1, you might be running 17% richer at top end, but you don't want to run 0% either. Your looking at around 4-5% richer, but you don't know what your engine likes untill you tune it. Remember every tibby is different, and if you tune your s-afc yourself and phuck something up, then i'll personally wup your ass for spoiling a tibby wink Remmeber as soon as you start messing with leaning out your engine, you risk detonation. And that is a big no-no.

Have a professional who has tuned a s-afc before do it. They have a special rutine/method of tuning it.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:43 PM
BV1

Thats the problem, I dont know if anyone here in Winnipeg has ever done this before, when I phone around they are like WTF is an S-AFC!? bahh
-Steve