Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Clutch Options

Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Clutch Options

Ok, its time for a new clutch. I know this from seeing my car loaded on a flat bed and being gracefully hauled back to my home after some fun and productive street tuning!

So, I'm asking folks opinions on clutch brands and stages.

The clutch that was in it was a SPEC stage 5. Had seen probably close to 30 dyno pulls, multiple track days and plenty of times down the strip.

It was a PITA for anything else. Loud, chattered, wined. BUT, hooked up when you needed it to!

SO, I'm looking for something that will hold between 300-400 ft/lbs but isnt quite as extreme as a solid iron disk! Got a pretty sensitive foot, so on/off feel isnt so bad for me. Would just like something a little nicer on the drivablilty portion than the clutch that was in there.

dmdicks was shooting for 500 HP on this engine with a spec stave V at 480 ft/lbs. My goals are more subtle, between 300-400 HP.

ALSO.....I know zip about clutches and trannys. I keep hearing of people converting to a pull/push clutch. What do the 2003 2.0 have and should I consider switching or what? Whats the bennifit of each and why should I switch?

Thank you in advance for all opinions and suggestions!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if you have a 03 trans then you have a pull clutch

you can convert to push clutch but SOME beta 2 transmissions have a different collar and youll have to have either access to a welder or pay someone to do it for you (they cut the collar off your trans and weld it to the push clutch collar)

i myself have a push clutch and am shooting for very similar power goals to you but i cant honestly give you the best recommendation on clutches as im not there yet

i have a competition clutch 6 puc with their heaviest pressure plate that would work (its rated for somewhere around 550 ft/lbs iirc)denis is running the same clutch at the same power level i want and he seems happy with it

as for explaining the difference between push and pull ill just set a example

say you needed to move your car while it was in neutral and the only way you can do it is by yourself by hand

is it easier to push your car or is it easier to pull your car?

the difference ive noticed between the 2 to me are it seems easier to find the friction point with a pull clutch, seems easier to drive. the setup i have now is in no way hard to shift or anything, just easier to stall although that could be from the fact that ive put like 20 miles in 3 years on it

the push clutch should allow for a higher tq rating as its exerting more force to hold it in place
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Right on man, thanks! I just did some google'ing and that makes more sense now.

I can relate! I've put maybe 300 miles on my car in the last 2 years! LOL! I need to change that! The car deserves to be driven!

What clutch are you and denis running?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 AM

heres a pic of the push kit, for some reason i didnt take a pic just of the collar though sorry (look closely behind the tb thats the collar)

oh and look at the top of your trans before you do anything

look where the slave is and MAKE SURE you have another hole for the slave since youll have to move the slave over to the other

get the conversion from denis, you can buy the parts yourself but he ships it in a nice kit package plus denis rocks

if at all possible, youll save some money if you "make" your own clutch kit, the push conversion will include a TO bearing (from a 2000 hyundai accent)

the clutch itself is from a 1.8 liter NA eclipse

my CC part number was 5051-1620, i ended up paying for a to bearing from the eclipse with that kit which just ended up in the trash so if you can just price out the disk and pressure plate youll be better off although the kit includes a alignment tool which might be worth the hassle if you dont already own one

if you want a 4 puc clutch (higher tq rating) the part number is 5051-1420

if you want a ACT clutch the part number is MB3-XTG6

ive had HORRIBLE luck with spec clutches, have had 3 explode on me so ill never buy another again, jongtr went through a few SPECs also
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I can second this, I have the same setup through Denise. Very awesome setup. Only diffrence I have is a Fidanza flywheel. I actually love this setup, and I think the trans likes it to as its easier to shift bit will require you to update your foot work!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

hey faith, so i got my hands on an 05 elantra trans (M5BF2) with only 7000 miles on it. i dont know when im going to have the time to install it, but when i do, this stock Valeo clutch is going directly into the trash....

i have the flywheel from the Valeo VHR extreme, would the eclipse pressure plate mount to it if i decide to go to a push style?

edit: sorry if im jacking the thread a bit, just saw some talk and good part numbers on the push style!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM

It should bolt right on I have a fidanza and it worked just fine
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

any N/A 1.8l DSM Clutch kit will bolt up to OUR Flywheel stock or Aftermarket doesnt matter as long as your going push!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loneshark if the stock clutch and pressure plate are in good shape somebody will probably pay shipping to take it off your hands. $15-20 instead of $100 for a new stock replacement would be a decent spare IMO.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

yea, this stock PP only has 19k on it, and its been very lightly used. i guess i could sell it...