Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

any members from south jersey or close by? ...tranny swap

Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent

i mean ill probably help regardless but yea your right if all the other work is done or will be done later im more than glad to help with the physical labor of throwing in the tranny and i could probably bring my room mate while im at it since he's a mechanic. but if were gunna do this, we gotta do this soon because its getting pretty cold out already. unless you have a garage...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There's about a solid afternoon or so of prep work to get ready to swap gearboxes . . . GreenShark386 feel free to ask if you run into any questions
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

no, i dont have a garage. what exactly do you want me to try and do to both cars before you come in and help? ill try my best to get the cars ready for you. keep in mind im an 18 yr old girl who doesnt know anything about swapping trannys.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by GreenShark386
keep in mind im an 18 yr old girl

thats all that matters to most guys
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's just wrong. True perhaps, but wrong.

I maintain the notion that anybody (gurlz included) can do almost anything, provided proper knowledge or the means to acquire it, PLUS the general quality of having their sh*t together and not being a dumbass. Unfortunately for society, this is a HUGE mis-over-estimation of more people than I like to think about.

You would need, at a minimum, a decent set of hand tools in addition to jackstands to get the cars ready - plus at least an impact gun. To finish, you'd need a drill and a torque wrench, preferably also an angle drill and a few specialized cutting bits. The parts could be stored in the cars, but that would suck.

Without a garage, where were you planning on doing the work?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM

i do have jack stands and hand tools and i can most likely get an impact gun. and the swap has to be done in my driveway.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't live in new jersey anymore, but I remember talking to you a few times at fudrucker's meets. You still haven't painted that front bumper? lol jokes aside, have you talked to Tom anymore from "Over The Edge Customs"? I'm no longer with the club since I moved but he just finished earlier this year doing a full car swap from an old 2001 to a 2000 tib, combining the best of both into a rebirthed Tib!!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

yeah i remember you rick lol. stopped driving the green tib in jan because the tranny blew. bought a blue manual and someone just totalled my car. so now im trying to go back to the green one and just swap trannys. and yeah i do talk to tom some, actually bought his red plastics and screen