Site News, Suggestions, & Bugs Please post all suggestions, issues & bugs you have with the site here. Hyundai Aftermarket.org News will be posted here as well. Thanks....

WELCOME RD TIBURON MEMBERS!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Thumbs down WELCOME RD TIBURON MEMBERS!

I want to take a moment and say welcome to all of the members from RD Tiburon! As you can see, that site is now shut down, and all members, posts, topics, and profile info is now moved here.

This was quite the frustrating experience. What should have been only a 3 hour project, turned into a 2 day project, $200 expense, a full day off of work, and bringing in 2 different techs from Invision Power Resources.

The reasons for this were:

1. RDT was on a lower forum software than what this site is on. So we had to alter HA's database to be able to except some of the tables from the RDT database

2. The server that was holding the RDT database was incredibly slow for some reason. The download literally took just about all day, considering it was downloading at between 6KB/s and 90KB/s (it fluctuated alot). I was able to get in touch with Supercow and he was able to zip up the database and host it elsewhere for download.

3. As the slow download was happening, some of the Admin's (cough...Java...cough) were still able to post at RDT, which completely killed the download when it was about 95% finished! tongue.gif When you post, it adds to the database and thats why the forums were offline to prevent members from doing this. However, Admins can still post on the sites.

4. We ended up using the database that Supercow had zipped up. Once we had that finally downloaded fully, we were able to set up the merged forums area, and start moving content.

There's a few other little headaches that happened as well, but those reasons above were the main issues. But, we got through it and now we can all share a beer or two and enjoy our one big super forum! When the other forum that is closing down later this year, and merges with us, it wont be anywhere near as hectic as what this merge was. I took this whole process as a learning experience from when the next merge happens later in the year.

Additional Items To Be Fixed or Altered
There are still some bugs to work through. I still need to merge members together. As an example...look at DTN. He has his one member name on here as DTN, and then theres Driving Tib Naked. The reason for things like this, is because of multiple accounts with different email addresses. The merge only merged members together if they had the same email. If not, then it creates 2 different accounts. I have to go through and merge these accounts together within the next few days.

You will also see members who have the same exact name, but one will have a "-merged" post title after the name. Reason for this is because of 2 accounts with the same name, but different email addresses. These will also have to be merged over the next few days as well.

RDT Staff

We will be bringing on some of the staff members from RDT here over the next few days as well. Once some of the other issues and bugs get fixed, then we'll start promoting.

Deleted/Hidden Posts
Im going through now and deleting hidden posts that the RDT staff did on their site, as well as going through and updating and moving content around. This is a work in progress will keep happening over time until everything is in the right place.

RDT link redirects
As of right now, if you click on a link in a thread, that is to RDT's website....it will go there and you will see the forum offline message. I will be working on something soon where when you click on that link, it will take you to the appropriate thread here on HA. This will take quite a bit of time to do, so expect that to be finished later sometime this year.

If you see any other issues or bugs, please feel free to post in this thread, or send me a PM. Thank you again for all your patience through all this, and once again....welcome everybody!

Josh
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Visionz @ Jul 17 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>2. The server that was holding the RDT database was incredibly slow for some reason. The download literally took just about all day, considering it was downloading at between 6KB/s and 90KB/s (it fluctuated alot). I was able to get in touch with Supercow and he was able to zip up the database and host it elsewhere for download.</div>

Lol, elsewhere being the same place. Just exported it via console, zipped, and put in a folder accessible to to the world. It was still on the same server. Really it wasn't the server being slow, it was just the phpmyadmin software. We'll know next time to go that route first rather than phpmyadmin. I had the file exported, zipped, and downloaded to my laptop is less that 30 minutes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Visionz @ Jul 17 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>3. As the slow download was happening, some of the Admin's (cough...Java...cough) were still able to post at RDT, which completely killed the download when it was about 95% finished! tongue.gif When you post, it adds to the database and thats why the forums were offline to prevent members from doing this. However, Admins can still post on the sites.</div>

again console method would have fixed that, lesson learned!

congrats on the big move!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburon

Im so glad its back. I was going through withdrawl yesterday without this place. smile.gif
Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Thanks for the hard work brother. You need some cash?

What was the $200 for?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I wish I could have helped. I am good with mysql.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator

The money was for the 2 tech's time at IPS to give me a hand with the merge. Had it not been for them, it would of taken much longer. We divided and conquered to get everything finished up.

No money is needed. I do it for the community and the scene as a whole, so I have no issues what so ever throwing down as much money as needed to make everyone happy. smile.gif
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Lol, sorry about that. I wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the awesome job in moving us over!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Congratulations and thanks, visionz.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator

<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">Please UPDATE your profiles as well!</span>
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

Thank you josh for all your hardwork and dedication again! Can't wait to meet all these RD Tiburon folks!