Site News, Suggestions, & Bugs Please post all suggestions, issues & bugs you have with the site here. Hyundai Aftermarket.org News will be posted here as well. Thanks....

Site Feature Tester Needed.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, I get a few hundred PM's a month, and I really REALLY hate clearing them out because it takes HOURS for me to go through them and keep what I want. If we could VIEW a PM, Delete it and automatically go to the next one, it wouldn't be so bad, but it still would take a long time.

In the user CP, under the messages area, there is a function called: Archive Messages that will allow you to DL your messages to a document you can look at on your PC, or just keep for whatever.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=Msg&CODE=14
^^^
Should take you to that function.

I'm a bit nervous of trying it as I have a LOT of Pm's I do not want to lose.

What I need is a member, preferably a premier member with a LOT of Pm's, or someone that has used this in the past, to walk me through it and reassure me that I'm not going to lose anything.

In a word document, I can go through these and delete them REALLY fast, and do it at school too on my phone if I want (Windows Mobile 6 FTW!).

HELP!

Okay, nevermind. I went and looked at it and figured it out. I must have been really tired or drunk last time.

It's pretty simple. Pick how far back you want it to go, how many messages (max is 50 messages), which folders you want, and the format you want them in.

I SUGGEST YOU USE THE HTML VERSION, AS THE EXCEL VERSION IS VERY HARD TO READ.

If you use this, do NOT use the "delete" feature until you make sure the output is what you want.

After you are done, it selects the messages from the correct folder, emails them to you in the batch set you want, and then deletes them if you told it to.

You can then open them in a word document and easily delete, search, whatever you want, all of them in that series.

If only it put them all in one file...

I had 768 messages to go through.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just did it. I told it not to delete the messages after archiving though, just for security, and that works.
However, it saves it as a text file (emails you an attachment) that's to be opened in excel. However, reading it is pretty tough as it includes all the dates and names and the quotes and whatever else doesn't quite all work right. But if you can get around all that, then it's pretty good. You can also save it as an HTML document which is 100x easier to read, but you can't delete individual PMs or editing or anything like you can in excel. You just have a solid record of your PMs.
I don't see that it's really easier than doing it on RDTiburon (especially if you can get something set so that when you delete a message it goes to the previous message rather than the inbox, and also have a previous - next button). But it does give you the advantage of having it offline...
As for losing stuff, as long as you don't select the 'delete after archive', they'll stay in your inbox. Select delete, and well, that's pretty self-explanatory.
Hopefully this helped? I don't have a ton of PMs, but you can specify how many you want archived, so the number of them shouldn't matter.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

...soo..... you're good now?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StrikeEagle @ Apr 8 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You can also save it as an HTML document which is 100x easier to read, but you can't delete individual PMs or editing or anything like you can in excel. You just have a solid record of your PMs.</div>

Actually, you can. Open it as a WORD file, and you can delete and edit what you want. Either right click on the file (after you save it from your email) and go to OPEN WITH, then select WORD, or open WORD and select that file after you've saved it.

I'm deleting tons right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I don't see that it's really easier than doing it on RDTiburon (especially if you can get something set so that when you delete a message it goes to the previous message rather than the inbox, and also have a previous - next button).</div>

I've been trying to get that added for some time, but our new "forum tech's" don't do anything and are all going to be fired in the next month anyways. Java has more important stuff to do, and I don't know how to do any of that stuff. The GOOD part is, you can SEARCH the files for keywords like names, parts, whatever you want, once they are saved. Better than going one PM at a time eh?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But it does give you the advantage of having it offline...</div>

For sure. Now that I sent them to my Gmail, I'll have a permanant copy of them, I just need to edit out the ones I don't want on my PC for quick access.

Unfortunately, I can select ALL Pm's from my Inbox to be archived, but it'll only send up to 50 if I select 50. I wish I could get them ALL in one file.

Yeah Majik, I'm good bra.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

True about saving it in word, still, it's not exactly easy to read it all in that format, at least for me anyhow...

And did you just call Majik a bra??? lmao.gif
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

yeah he did, got a problem with it bish?!?

I tried searching all through the Admin CP and I can't find a way to allow you more than 50 at a time. I can set the maximum PMs displayed on a page to whatever I want (tested 250) but it won't archive more than 50 at a time.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StrikeEagle @ Apr 8 2008, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>True about saving it in word, still, it's not exactly easy to read it all in that format, at least for me anyhow...

And did you just call Majik a bra??? lmao.gif</div>

The EXCEL version, yeah, that you can't read at all, the HTML one is fine, the quotes just don't work right, but you know the info you get is either at the beginning or end of the message anyways.

And no, I called him "Bra".

He's like my brother.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

786 huh? How many were from DTN? lol
Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 PM

LOL

I'm not sure.

I've got 16 archives here, and I'm consolidating them into one file, so I can easily search it.

Any suggestions on how to consolidate HTML files easily? So I can just append one to the next without opening it, cutting and patsing?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ open with IE, copy and paste into word.

I use this feature all the time. I keep filling my box.