Site News, Suggestions, & Bugs Please post all suggestions, issues & bugs you have with the site here. Hyundai Aftermarket.org News will be posted here as well. Thanks....

Number Of Users In Chat

Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I was thinking that the Chat Room is a great feature of the website, and when we get 4 or 5 people in there, or 8 like there was today, it gives us a chance to interact more with the members instead of posts that have 20 minutes or 2 hours between replies.

I suggest we do something to try and increase traffic to the FlashChat. I've seen on other sites where they have the number of members currently in the chat (and I believe we had that at one time too, right?). I thought it might be a good idea to keep a running total at the top of the page (immediately under the Shoutbox) showing how many people are in the Chat. If somebody notices that 3 or 4 people are in the chat, they may be more likely to joining. I'd have it a static feature that shows up on all pages, like the shoutbox does.

Is that something easily done Joshuwa? Just an idea that I had...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i agree to that, at least a number figure in the corner stating how many people are in chat would do the job. and it would diminish unnecessary threads like all of my exhaust/catalytic referred ones fing02.gif
Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

yea, we used to have it, but it disappeared when we upgraded a couple months back
Old 12-13-2005, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It'd be WAY cool if there were a way to show it next to the flashchat link.

FlashChat (8)

But probably not.

To increase traffic, I personally want to start having a Scheduled Chat, at least once a month.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majiktib @ Dec 13 2005, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is that something easily done Joshuwa? Just an idea that I had...</div>
I'm not very familiar with this chat, so I don't know if it already provides the functionality to do that, but I could write a script to do this, and put it in the link in the navigation, so the flash chat link would look like this:

FlashChat (#)

Where '#' would be the number of people in chat.

(edit: Just saw red's post. Yes - that's possible mang smile.gif...Might take me a minute to get working right, but is relatively simple. Since the users in chat is stored in the database, a simple script to count the rows in the particular table, then show the text, should be easy)
Old 12-14-2005, 08:59 AM

Dude, that would be perfect. Get on it biatch!

LOL

Have you gone to www.tufat.com to check out their scripts and all the stuff this flashchat can do?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM

No, I've never looked there. I'll take a look.

What else would be cool is making the flashchat look like the site, with tiburon pics and style....maybe when I have a lot of free time wink1.gif)
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM

You know, most of the skins and backgrounds they have for it and such are so distracting you can't see the typing. I just turned it to black.