Site News, Suggestions, & Bugs Please post all suggestions, issues & bugs you have with the site here. Hyundai Aftermarket.org News will be posted here as well. Thanks....

I Suck At Searching

Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I can't search for O2 sensor, or DTN. I'm trying to find part number for the o2 sensor.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yeah, I really can't stand that 3 character minimum limit. Many times i need to search for one or two character acronyms or something, and it prevents that. Is there any way that can be removed?
Also, the 20 second search limit gets in the way when trying different varieties of searches.
And same for the 20 second post limit (or 'pause')?
I understand that these help prevent people from hogging site resources, but we're told (and we tell others) to search all the time, that these things really get in the way. Perhaps it would be possible to remove those limitations for active members and keep it for inactive ones?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
DTN

If you're wondering why this is in site suggestions and questions...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.</div>

I suggest allowing searches for the words o2 and DTN smile.gif
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM

"DTN" should be blocked from search. And when someone posts it it should just show up as "***"

nana.gif

Oh, and when someone types "Redz" it should really show up as "<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#FF0000">REDZ</span></span>"
Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Actually, when you type in REDZ I think it should say <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Z</span></span>. )
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

u guys sholdnt have to worry about searching, u have all been here forever lol...
all the noobs gotta read up on a few years of R&D or diy's at least tongue.gif
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sorry guys and gals, it's not changing.

Search TIME limits are put up to deter attacks through multiple searches.

3 letters or more is there to keep searches quicker. You start searching for stuff with 2 letters, searches will tie up the site for a LONG time, it's not going to change.

Sorry folks, search different.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM

Sounds good to me. Couldnt even imagine how long it would take to find all the threads with O2 or DTN in it. After how many times hes been yelled at or owned.gif
Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 AM
DTN

I used to be able to type DTN and have it come up with all the recent threads where someone expected a response from me. "This topic is about (insert random electronics device/question here) it won't be long until DTN is in here".

...I can deal with that, but we used to be able to type O2 sensor and have it come up just fine.

OOH! I figured it out!
You have to put quotes around "o2 sensor" and it works! It won't search for small words anymore, but it will search for large phrases with quotes!

This is kinda wierd though, if you type "DTN" in the search box it returns this
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You searched for: DTN Unfortunately your search didn't return any results.
Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search.
Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'.</div>

But if you type "DTN*" in the search box it returns this
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>***Later that same day from deep within the DTN cave....***
Awww, come on man..... Now my title says douchebag because of my being a hero?!?!?
Damnit!!!</div>

and it also returns this topic http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...437&hl=DTN* which has no mention whatsoever of the word DTN which I can see.

But it has no mention whatsoever of this topic http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=21495 which is entitled DTN'S car. I can't even bring that topic up in search anywhere. I have to manually find it in the forums.

I just think there's something wrong with the search. I can't access information like I used to be able to, and I've got some car problems right now I'm trying to work out.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Also, if you search for "sorry" (without quotes), you get the no results error. I doubt nobody ever said he was sorry on this site lol
Edit: haha, REDZ just said it a few posts up lol