For Sale Sell all your stuff here or use the Classifieds Section!

Advice On My '97

Old 11-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 Tiburon that I am pretty confused about at this point. I've been posting about running/starting problems and most of it has been narrowed down to a bad fuel filter and clogged (bad) injectors. I replaced one but need three more, I've replaced the FP and other things trying to narrow it down.

It recently snapped a belt because an accessory pulley was frozen and I haven't been able to look at it. Other than that, it's a decent running/looking car with 130,000 miles and a good clutch and brakes, tires etc. It will need a muffler but it's got a header and full aftermarket exhaust.

I don't know if I should just sell it for whatever I can get or dump more money into it and keep it. My lifestyle makes me want to get a truck so I'm not sure I will even keep it if I do fix it.

How much should I ask for the whole thing as is? I can't part it out so I'll have to let it go as a whole car.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

with a Hyundai, it's probably a very easy fix that causes a big problem. you have to tell me if it cranks when you turn the key. how exactly does it start? what does the engine sound like? how are revs? are you getting any CEL codes, if so post them up otherwise it's impossible for us to help!

never replace fuel injectors single. always do them 4 at a time! just like spark plugs. or else you'll get detonation and the engine will misfire.

replace the belt though. it could also be causing a misfire. it could be a bad Throttle Position Sensor, Crankshaft Sensor, Mass Air Flow, Pressure Valve Control. Even a bad fuel pump. Your spark plugs could be old have you replaced them? Always get NGK Iridium. Coilpack could be bad, Spark Plug Wires could be burnt. The connection on all of those might be bad and need dielectric boot grease. All of which are easy fixes.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks for all that help you posted there but I have gone through all of that stuff (and then got lecturerd for blindly replacing so much stuff without a proper diagnosis cool.gif ).

I found that the injectors were full of tan junk that I could knock out of them. After replacing them, they only refilled with the same crap. I bought a fuel filter and have not been able to put it in. I'm very confident that when I do, it'll run great.

The question is... Do I replace the filter, buy 3 more injectors, figure out which accessory is frozen, fix it, then replace the belt, which I'm guessing will cost between $200 and $400 whether that frozen accessory is expensive or not. Or just sell the thing as is and take a hit or try to find time to do all that labor myself (very short on time and money right now).

The car was fun for the short time I drove it. I just don't know if it's worth the cost and time.

What could I get for it in it's current state?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Under a thousand most likely. I would try to fix the problems and get closer to 2. Then maybe get another one with less problems and maybe newer.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you'll never get a proper diagnosis here without some codes. it can't be running like squat without them. there are a lot of codes that don't light up the lamp and stay stored until the next drive cycle.

so you've replaced all of the stuff i mentioned? only reason i don't think it's a fuel problem here just because from my 20 years of hyundais that has never been the case and it's usually been something i've read or experienced.

i'd say $1,000, $1500 tops in its current state, if taken care of.

but anyways, i can't help much if you are experiencing a fuel problem because that's my soft spot, so give me an update if you do repair it.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:41 PM

I've had a LOT of help in the forums here and what we found out was that when I knocked out the crap from the injectors and re-installed them, it started right up and ran like new. That is until they got choked up with junk again. I would clean them out, stick 'em back in and boom, it'd fire right up. I found it would run like crap so I pulled plug wires one at a time and it would die. I'd get to the last plug wire, pull it and it would not change. I would look at that injector and it would be soo full of junk that it wasn't passing any gas ( laugh.gif ).

4 brand new plugs, 4 brand new wires, new CPS, new fuel pump with no chnage... Knock the junk out of the injectors and it fires up (until they foul again.)

I was thinking of $500.00 if someone wanted to come get it.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

pics would help this thread alot! also a more exact location. cool.gif
Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM

Do your fuel filter then.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM

where do u live?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Clark Howard say: don't get another car unless the cost of replacement is EQUAL to the cost of repairs.

A belt-driven accessory will probably be WAY <$100 from somebody here if you want a used take-off part.

Fuel filter. Change your fuel filter, do the injectors.

Come on, you know you love your car! fing02.gif