Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Turn heater on when racing

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Accent
Default Turn heater on when racing

I have heard some people swear by this because it helps keep the engine cooler. Anybody here turn their heater on full blast when at a track or autox course?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Nope. I turn the fan off and run nothing that isn't critical. If you're OVERHEATING it could help, but then you shouldn't really be racing until you get that sorted out.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I do if the ambient temps are high. This summer it was over 100F when I was out and I needed all the help I could get. Have since installed a bigger radiator though so I hope I don't need to do this.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Short answer, no....long answer....no

If you do it right....it can slightly lower you cylinder temps....which is highly doubtfull that this slight decrease in engine heat will translate to ambient heat which might translate to slighty lower IAT's which might give you a tad bit of timing which might give you the edge....lol, a lot of maybee's there. But you are increasong your electronic load and possibly your alternator load which slows you down lol (not really) just like this mod won't help you speed up.

If you run your heater all the time, that slight bit of heat you are removing from your coolant will eventually equal out, and your rad will turn on and do its best and your coolant temps will be the same as with the heat on.

IF the slight drop in collant temp translates to slightly cooler engine and slightly lower ambients and slightly lower IAT, then the way to do it is. Keep your heater off, let your rad do all the work, and right before the race, turn it on full blast and it will slightly lower your ECT for a few min.

Not to mention if you have a halmet on and are roasting in the inside lol all to look like a hot sweaty fool, or roll your windows down and slow down even more.

But if your rad is broken or you are overheating, use all that you can to remove heat from your coolant and sure, crank it up and open the windows, but it won't help your time, it might save your engine. If your rad is maxed out and temps are still climbinv like RR said, yes it will help, but its assitance will demish in time as it eqaulizes your heater core and then it isn't really removing much heat.