Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Scca

Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this is the right place to post.

Anyway, I've really really been wanting to get into scca racing. I've contacted scca and have gotten mail about how to join and so forth, but I really haven't gotten any real useful info. Does anybody have any good suggestions on how get started?

Any feedback is very well appreciated.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

How about starting here: http://www.scca.com/

Then search around a bit and you could find this for your area in PA: http://www.scca-cpr.org/

And even the email for more info. info@scca-cpr.com
Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 PM

^^^ Yea i have checked all that out...I guess i didn't clarify enough. I was looking for somebody who has had frst hand experience or knows somebody who has had first hand experience.

Thanks anyway though.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 PM

i raced a bit while i was living in florida and i did the duryea climb a few time...what do you need to know?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My best friend's Dad races a Mustang in SCCA, and the friend drove an old Neon in a couple of races as well. All I can say is be prepared to spend a lot on tires and have a couple of cans of spray paint around that match your car. smile.gif
Old 12-03-2006, 12:34 AM

^^^ Haha, thanks man.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IJSTBRNDU @ Dec 2 2006, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i raced a bit while i was living in florida and i did the duryea climb a few time...what do you need to know?</div>

I was wondering how much money would be involved, did you just do the classes and start racing? Just anything to get a good clean start at actually getting on the track.

I know its a little vague. Sorry
Old 12-04-2006, 04:47 AM

if you want to be competetive you must buy slicks, and i mean good ones. i've had the most luck with kumho V710's, 225/50/15. The heat up very fast, so watch long courses in which you make several consecutive runs. These tires will get slippery after about 3-4 miles of hard running because they are specifically made for autox. Mine were around 150-170 a piece, the treadwear you have to watch if you do a lot of events though.

Then figure out your class, if you have any trouble with it don't worry. The person doing sign-in will be able to figure it out with a couple questions.
The only thing left is racing advice. if you get slicks you'll want to burn them off the line, but not more than second or two. This will put a good amount of heat in the 710's and give you excellent cornering right off the bat. Only repeat this if you wait between runs and you feel your tires get cold/pressure reduce.

Cornering, always remember it is better to be slow in and fast out...if your new brake early and get your cornering speeds down until you can figure out your cars limits and if your taking a hard turn NEVER slam on the gas until you are at least at the apex because your front end will just wash out and around here that means hitting a rock wall.

The final piece of advice i have is to talk to as many people as you can. There is no better teacher than a local racer who knows the courses. Don't be afraid to talk to anyone, if they are out for the race it is their passion and they want to have as many people join and become as competetive as possible.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 AM

^^^ Good advice man...i appreciate it alot.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:05 PM

no problem, lemme know how you do and if you come up with any other questions.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Best advice I can give in starting to race.. start in the stock car classes. These cars will have minimal modifications (only to make them safer) and the speeds will be lower and the money you have to lay out to start will be lower.

Also, try and buy a used race car, building your own is going to be about 3x more than if you start with one that has a good foundation.