Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

RD on the Nurburgring

Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Coupe\Tib RD 2

Originally Posted by rob40
if you're serious about trackdays i'd go the suspension route, save up for a decent set of coilovers and then you ideally need a spare set of rims with proper track tyres on them. It's surprising the amount of grip we used to get with the cup cars on avo coilovers and toyo 888 tyres. We used to get held up round corners on trackdays by much more powerful cars.

Handling/chassis first, then power

On the ring itself, i didnt need more grip. Current suspension is more than adequate, actually got air more than once, theres one lockup in that video as is from that, coilovers wont help that. and i was getting held up by 3 series a fair bit on track.

Again, as you know, coilovers are pricey. We had an M4 wth us in the group also running khumo la ecsta tyres and was gripping for days, thats 500hp+ and heavier. (Wider tyres too, but it all scales)

To go faster here, power is the issue, i have 0 speed in the uphill sections. Brakes, even on the cheap pads were enough to happily stop the car. I need new tyres as my rears are now about 0.1mm off the wear markers. Ill probably get the same again, or toyo proxes, depending on price.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Do you have a link to the Turbo kit for sale? Daistek is the maker of Unichip piggyback ECU's, not generic by any means but you have to be a shop/distributer to be able to tune it. I'm betting it's an old Alpine Develpment's turbo kit. If its one of their earlier RD kits then that came with a Mitsubishi TD04-15T which is a decent quick spooling turbo that should net you between 200-230 WHP on a stock motor.

The critical part to understand, and what Jon is trying to say, is that if its an Alpine kit then the tune was made to work with most STOCK Tiburon's. Once you start adding a freer flowing intake and exhaust the built in tune may not be able to compensate and you may run lean.

If you get the used kit I suggest seeing if any tuner shop near you can adjust the tune on the Daistek unit to dial it in for YOUR ride. If you don't I guarantee you'll be looking to build a new engine.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

From what I remember, those Alpine Unichip tunes were crappy to begin with. Never made the power they should have.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:15 PM

Again, i'm not planning on just slapping it on. I'd probably look to replace the td04 with a fresh one anyways, theyre pretty reasonable cost wise.

And of course i'd get it mapped up to my car. All engines are different, even stock.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM

Especially since you have different compression.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM

So is it an old Alpine kit? The Unichip is very capable in the right hands and one of the only piggyback ECUs that could actually retard ignition timing without freaking out the stock computer.

If I remember correctly the TD04 Alpine used had a Garret T25 turbine housing so you could look into getting a GT28 Turbo and it should bolt right in place on the bullet proof Alpine manifold.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Especially since you have different compression.
did wonder if anyone would bring that up, would have to drop that back down a lot again. all part of the plan thats getting pieced together.

Not sure on the turbo make. tatty externally, which is why i'd look at probably replacing it, not indicative of the state internally mind. its the rest of the kit i'm really after, its quite difficult to source for a good price in the UK.

srGrYbF.jpg
Old 04-17-2017, 12:28 PM

i do, however feel we have gone off topic onto something that is still reasonably unlikely to occur. so, i'll get onto finding pictures and getting other footage up to youtube.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 PM

Yeah that looks like an old Alpine turbo. Would have to see the rest of the kit to make sure.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Eh, this IS the "race" forum, and we're not nazi-mods around here, so anything goes really.