Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Putting WD-40 on tires

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
geo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default Putting WD-40 on tires

I have heard some people say that if you have a set of track tires that have hardened up, you can spray them down with WD-40 and it will soften them back up. Any mythbusters put this to the test? Does it really work?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

DON'T. Unless you want to throw that set away immediately after. There is a particular compound, I forget what it is, where you need to paint it on the tyres, glad-wrap them, then sit the set in a cool place for about a week. See if you can find out what it is, its a huge cash(and time) saver.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

wd-40 pretty much does the same thing tire dressing does when applied, they eat and degrade the rubber, accelerates dry-rottng, and develops large areas of cracking

rainwater strips the tire dressing or wd-40 off and leaves the tire dried out.

if you want to take care of your tires or prolong the rubber compound from dry-rotting, clean them with mild soap and water, and keep away from extreme heat.

dry-rotted tires caused by tire dressing or any silly slicky oily chemical will also void any tire warranty.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I've heard of soaking burnout tyres in diesel to make more smoke, but I haven't tested it myself. I very much doubt that it would help the tyres out.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

About 25 years ago my father in law used to use oil of wintergreen on the tyres of his sons competition go-kart, i guess it's still around some call it tyre prep?

http://www.hdmworld.com/tirepreps.htm