Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

left foot braking

Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Elantra
Default left foot braking

I was reading a performance driving book and it explained the concept of left foot braking in a fwd car. I tried straightline braking, but felt awkward bringing my left foot across the centerline

Does anybody have tips/hints/points to help me out? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It does feel awkward. I personally don't use the technique much. I think the amount of benefit it provides varies a lot for different models of car. I didn't get much out of it in the Accent.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i sometimes do so to scrub a bit of speed off prior to the apex and then throttle through the rest of the corner (this is on my commute to work i am by no means an autocrosser)

sometimes i also do it to keep the car on the asphalt over hills. if you give it just a wee bit of pressure (or a snug tap) just before the top of the hill it keeps the car from violently changing balance.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The best tip is: PRACTICE. Practice makes better. Left foot braking is awkward enough for me in my 3-pedals car for me to not like it.

Then again, I may be better than most of the "drivers" around here, but I'm no track hero. YMMV.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

^- stop calling what those idiots do in the Austin area driving. I am offended.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

The best way to get smooth at the ole LFB is to do your normal braking with your left foot. I had the same problems with 'jabbing' the brake pedal. Another issue is that you really cant be changing gear while LFBing. Unless you are able to heel and toe the clutch pedal, in which case you probably don't need advice on LFB

Its surprising how little pressure you need to get the back end going. I find it is most useful on tight roundabouts, my LC can be a real lead tipped arrow (read: barge) so it all helps.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

i believe its called 'riding the brake'

at least it is when using both pedals at the same time during a traffic jam on the highway so that i nearly rear end you because i don't know what the hell you're doing....
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you can't figure out that the car in front of you has a differential velocity relative to you, you need to back up. If you are too close to come to a STOP if the car in front of you comes to a stop, you need to back up. If you don't have time to react because you are too close by the time you figure out they are slowing, you need to back up.

Back up. Rear-end collisions spoil everyone's commute, and everyone hates that guy. Don't be that guy.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
i believe its called 'riding the brake'

Gotta watch for those pro rally drivers commuting to work, left foot braking all the way up the freeway
Old 11-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by Stocker
If you can't figure out that the car in front of you has a differential velocity relative to you, you need to back up. If you are too close to come to a STOP if the car in front of you comes to a stop, you need to back up. If you don't have time to react because you are too close by the time you figure out they are slowing, you need to back up.

Back up. Rear-end collisions spoil everyone's commute, and everyone hates that guy. Don't be that guy.

its a bit of a pain when traffic is bumper to bumper and i've gotten off a night shift. i leave plenty of room and quite a safe driver thanks, but thanks for the pro tips. i'm talking about reducing the effectiveness of the brake lights. if lights are on, brain responds quickly and correctly when the other driver is driving correctly. riding the brake means that the vehicle could be moving when it appears to be slowing down. this takes more time for the brain to figure out whats going on.