Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Heading To The Track

Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

Heading to the track for my first time in the next couple weeks (either this sunday or next)

I've never raced before, don't want to get embarassed..
Where should I launch at?
How do you go about shifting fast and smooth?
Gimme some tips please...

What would you guys expect my times to be? I'm thinking I should hit 14s (if my driving skills are good that is)?

Here's my mod list:
B&M Short Shifter
NGK Spark Plug Wires (no plugs though)
AEM CAI
61mm BBTB
Airram
OBX 4-2-1 Headers
MBRP Exhaust w/hi-flow cat

I will remove my spare tire and subs but the front/rear seats and everything else is staying in (also I have racing seats, so there's a little weight reduction too).
Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 PM

you probably wont hit 14's with that... but you could... who knows. if it is your first time at the track you probably wont.

with the tib... on street tires, i would say launch at about 3500 to 4k... dont take it to redline but maybe 5500-6k, anywhere between there should be alright for shifts. good luck mang
Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ide take it to redline in first gear.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ew... please no 3500RPM Launches with the Tib. 3500RPM clutch dumps are why you guys get 2.4 and 2.5 60 foot times, and why me and OP make you guys look bad.

Start at about 2200RPM, and let out the clutch like you were leaving a stoplight, none of the "OMG lights green, dump the clutch" mentality. If that holds traction, try 2300RPM next launch, and keep kicking it up until you get a slight loss of grip in traction with a little tire chirp. The power and different tires between Tibs are different, but the BFG KDW-2s I have on the Tib now stick with my launch until 2600RPM releases. Any decent tire should catch at 2200 I believe. I can get 2.2 60 foot times in the Tib all day, while for some reason everyone else struggles to get anywhere near that. And its not like the track I go to is world class grip either.

I take 1st to 6400RPM, 2nd to 6200RPM, 3rd and 4th to 6000RPM. Taching it up more in 1st and 2nd takes advantage of the gearing in the Tib. Taching up too short in 1st (6000RPM) drops you way out of the power range in 2nd gear.

What elavation are you at? Times you are shooting for depend on that and temperature/track conditions, but 14s are very possible.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Another few tips for you...if your at a tree that goes 2 yellows then a green leave after the second yellow you might redlight a few times but you will get used to it

And avoid the waterbox go around it you don't need to peel before you race your not on slicks

And follow hams advice I did and I dropped .2 on my quarter now I'm runnin 2.3 60 foots but I'm still learning...
Old 04-15-2006, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

you are NOT going to hit 14's. if you do i will paypal you $5 is you scan the timeslip...

but tips? eh.. have fun. drag racing is the boring-est type or "racing" there is. go straight, slow down, repeat as neccessary...

uhgh...

work on reducing your 60-foot time. by improving your launch. Once you get comfortable with a good launch and feel you can puch it a little more, WITHOUT wheelhop, lower your tire pressure like 10psi. or more.. your choice. like 20-25psi and you should get some better traction. some guys go as low as 15....
Old 04-15-2006, 12:49 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

dude gets pics of this sh*t. i want to see your red 5 speed tib! you never have posted any pictures of it and it's probably most liikely definitely better than my car.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

dont spin them of the line LOL

get one for me

good luck cool.gif
Old 04-15-2006, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Well I wasn't saying that I could get 14s, but rather that I think the car is capable of it.

I met a couple guys this weekend and they go every other sunday to a track only about 20 minutes from me with a big group of people, so it should be a good time. One guy told me it's full of kids who don't know how to drive, SRT-4's running 14.9 he said, lol. I hope I don't get destroyed though, the only car I know of in this group is a civic hatch with a B18 swap and now has i/h/e, I believe his best run ever was a 13.9 eek.gif

Anyway, so I should launch around 2-2500? I was thinking it would be better to launch around 3-4000 and just let the clutch out slow..I wish there was a road I could go on somewhere to practice...but I don't need another fking "Disorderly Conduct With a Motor Vehicle" ticket for chirping the tires.

HKC, I'll try to jack a digi cam from my sister for the weekend, yeah isn't this a joke, she's 12 and has a $200 digital camera, yet I don't...man I'm broke. LOL. But yeah dude, I doubt it's better than your tib. Really, we should just put our cars together, my engine in your body, haha. It's pretty beat up on the outside, but hopefully that will be all taken care of this summer wink1.gif, along with my carpc! Depends on how much I work this summer I suppose, I might go the factory route, I can start at $13/hr..(minimum here is 5 and I currently make 8, so that's a big step up lol) but I gotta save some for school next year too.

Anyway, I'm really pushin for tomorrow, I'm excited! It may not be until next sunday though, we'll see.

thanks guys
Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Letting the clutch out slow from 3-4 is gonna either create too much wheelspin or burn your clutch way too much than necessary.