Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

First Autox

Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Yesterday I autocrossed for the first time. Wow, why did noone tell me how much fun this is! I am mostly stock (CAI was the only thing that pushed me into SS) and I wasnt very good, as this was my first ever AutoX (I even got beat by a pinto - LOL) but it was a hoot. My best times were better then a few peoples worst times, so I feel pretty good about it considering this was my first one. Obviously lots of learning for me yet though!
I know some of you guys out there have autocrossed - how do you guys compare to the other cars out there? Those of you turbo guys?
This is a picture my gf took while I locked up the brakes in order to avoid taking out this line of cones. I had to reverse out of it.

And another pic - not the nicest pic, but it proves I was there LOL

I need to do some suspension mods and stuff, but there's a lot I can still learn the way it is now!
And my second last run (it was a fun run) I almost had a headon with a WRX! there are 2 sections of the course, and I was on the second section, just coming into the finish area, and he was flying into that area from the first section... noone was paying attention (they let him go to early, and they should have red flagged him)
luckily he saw me and I saw him. I swerved right and he hit the brakes. scared me half to death though.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:10 PM

lol ill bet it scared ya! looks like fun though! good luck in the future....
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM

It scared me more after I stopped and had time to think about what happened!
and of course, there is no insurance on the track.
have you ever autocrossed homey?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ive been telling everyone how fun it is lol. But yea the first time out there youll basically loose, dont worry youll see huge gains in the next few autoxes. A modded tib should be around middle of the pack, a little lower, of stock corvettes. The evo (my dads) always beats me by 3 to 5 secs. Alot of it is tires and knowing your car. Last autox i went to (Sat) i was oversteering the whole time (trail braked to hard once and forgot my rear ties got to hot and slippery and spun out), so bring a tire gague!!! I forgot mine last time and didnt want to mess up my pressures. So youll get better and should be doing great soon. Such as a stock sti first time he was out I beat him by over 7 secs and was tieing a 911 that meet (I think he was still getting used to autox).
Old 09-18-2006, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

cool... sounds like fun!

if i ever get some free time i definitely need to head out to an autox. anybody know of one around the tampa, fl. area?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 PM

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/auto-x-r...t-schedule.html

Just go through that until you see a date and place you like. The vette club is cool with other cars, I haveraced with them alot (at least 5 times), 14 runs with timing. The Gainesville track is nice, unlim runs no times unless you take them, just practice (nice show of almost all cars, sti's evo a civic mustangs vettes miadias 350z). The SCCA events Ive heard is alot of waiting for a few runs.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:42 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (miamitib @ Sep 18 2006, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>cool... sounds like fun!
if i ever get some free time i definitely need to head out to an autox.</div>
Ya, I recomend everyone to at least give it a try! And for those of you ricers out there, this totaly owns street racing. (yes, street racing sucks)
It was actually raining for my first run, so there were puddles all over. It dried up for the rest of the runs so that was great! My first time was 94.8. my last run was 79.4 (although I hit a cone) so I shaved about 15 seconds of my time! The winning run was around 61, and the average was about 70, so I really dont feel i did that bad for my first time. Definitely need to go out more though so I can prove that tibbys dont suck at handling lol.
My buddy was watching me drive and he was like "dude, dont pull the e-brake" lol
I wasnt ebraking, so I guess I must have been oversteering a bit although I only really noticed once. (he also said my back tire wasnt spinning - maybe i should also get some suspension mods) I had my tires at 44psi in the front and 40 in the back. maybe i should have taken a couple pounds out of the back but I felt good about it.
serriously though, everybody needs to try it at least once.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun!! How do you find out about them? Trying to get some info in my area, but nothing's showing up...
Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure about the best way to find it in your area. http://www.dlbracing.com/ has a lot of different events (including all the Winnipeg ones, which is what I need). Maybe there are some members close to you that have more information.