Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Dyno comparisons, tweaking results

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Dyno comparisons, tweaking results

A discussion has come up recently about some tuners swaying dyno results. The claim is that SFR turned the A/C on for their baseline dyno to show lower numbers and make their final numbers show more of an increase (with the A/C off, of course).

Here are the graphs. Anyone with more dyno experience have any input? Aaron?

And, coincidentally, here's a quote from Jay @ SFR yesterday:

Jay Kdm Kim: "Funny enough.. One of the Veloster customer who got the tune at your Ohio event was making 190whp on bolt on Veloster Turbo which is pretty high since we've done 6+ Veloster turbos doing around 175whp including our demo car at other events."

(funny, the dyno below shows 190whp baseline that Jay posted himself, but he'll still try to discredit the other tuners)

Brandon Sanders: "Jay, the Veloster Turbo I saw at the Ohio event last week was low 180s in the baseline dyno before tune, not 190s, and he was full bolt ons with the Turbosocks intake, fmic, solenoid bypass, gutted cat, etc."

(we were, in fact, talking about two different VTs)

Jay Kdm Kim: "Not sure we are talking about the same guy. Even if his baseline was low 180's with the mods then you don't have to brag about that dyno being Mustang since that means it's still quite off from other Mustang dynos I've used in the past (should be easily 160's with load). Don't get me wrong.. Results are looking good but it seems like it's putting out about the same numbers or more than most of Dynojet numbers. What's more important (pretty much what I wrote above) is gains over from the baseline. Every dyno is different also other factors. Have fun tuning."

(I agree with focusing on the increase as different dynos read differently, but tunes with each company have been somewhat consistent at their various locations. See charts below)

Jay Kdm Kim: "Funny enough.. One of the Veloster customer who got the tune at your Ohio event was making 190whp on bolt on Veloster Turbo which is pretty high since we've done 6+ Veloster turbos doing around 175whp including our demo car at other events."

(trashing other tuners/dyno results even though the baseline mirrors his)

(here's the link of Jay himself posting this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Unless you go into the ECU and shut off the WOT A/C cutoff, it doesn't matter if the A/C is on or not since it turns off anytime you go WOT. My biggest problem with those dyno runs is the CF is set to STD. It should be set to SAE. I've heard of tuners messing with the weather station to fudge numbers.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Then what caused the massive power loss in the first pic posted above? Supposedly they are making changes within the ECU.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Don't know. Could be timing. You can test this yourself. Turn your a/c on at a low speed then go WOT. After about 10 seconds, the air blowing out of the vents should feel noticeably warmer.