Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Drivers' Skill Level Difference

Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default Drivers' Skill Level Difference

In "your" experience how much of a skill level difference is there from the "average" SCCA Club Racing driver to the Pirelli World Challenge drivers?

I understand equipment, team, etc is different but just curious what "your" take is?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Well. there's a pretty huge difference between the "average" SCCA racer and the winning SCCA racing driver normally, so I would think the difference is pretty large.

The difference between the best SCCA drivers and pro drivers? It'll vary, but for the most part not a lot. I don't think most of the good SCCA racers could hop in and dominate a pro event, but they probably wouldn't have an embarrassing showing either.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Huge. But the important part is that the world challenge drivers are able to work with a team, and equipment, and managers etc. Gone are the days when you could just be an arrogant prick - the good driver also needs to be able to respond to setup changes with the car, driving instruction, and he needs to be able to give good feedback when they're setting the car up too.

And that's really important to have when you're looking at a pro driver. Being fast is only one of many requirements.