Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Best launching technique for dragstrip?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Tiburon
Default Best launching technique for dragstrip?

I will be taking the car to the dragstrip for the first time in May next year (gives me time to install more power adders). What are your recommendations to obtain the best ET's? I've read about launching in 2nd gear, do you recommend it?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Well if you still have the stock clutch then I wouldnt worry about trying to launch. If this is your first time out than watch a few runs to get the timing on the tree and then go for it. To start dont try as hard as you can with the tree, take off like you would from a stop light and hammer in to it once you have traction.

Try not to abuse the car too much lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Taking off dumping second on a stock clutch, seems to me like you would either have a horrible launch or a fried clutch, or both. I could be wrong, I've never driven your car but my clutch would slip rather severely.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Every car is going to launch differently depending on mods, tires, tire pressure, track temp, ect, ect.

If you have never been to the drag before then take the prior advice. Make the first pass as though your are launching from a stop light, normally.

My car I set between 3400 and 3800 depending on how my time trails felt. I don't just dump the clutch but I'm close to it. But I didn't have the power of boost so my wheel spin wasn't to hard to keep manageable.