Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Anybody else have issues with power steering pump?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Accent GT
Default Anybody else have issues with power steering pump?

I ran my first autocross last weekend and there was a 2001 Accent there that had some terrible power steering pump whine after the first couple runs and it gradually got worse as the day went on. I didnt have any problems with mine but it made me wonder if the pumps are pretty fragile when it comes to racing.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

They are not. I'm guessing his fluid was low and/or his seals were already bad. I have no clue how many autox events I've ran with no PS pump issues.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I've heard a few XD Elantra owners complaining about boiling ps fluid during auto X.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This would not surprise me. The "cooler" on my RD was a loop of exposed hard line. I replaced it with a no-kidding little radiator style oil cooler. If it needs a cooler, install a real one!

Anyway, the whine could be from a pump that was already on its last legs, which was cavitating because the fluid was boiling more as the day went on. Could also be bearings and/or seals. They're mechanical parts and nothing lasts forever, but for normal driving Hyundai seems to have picked a fairly reliable PS fluid pump.