Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture This is an area to discuss anything that has to do with Arts & Cultural items, such as Photography, Paintings, History, Movies, Television, Music, Fashion, etc.

Woman Arrested on Piracy Charges

Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Beta Accent GSi
Default Woman Arrested on Piracy Charges

Woman Charged with Movie Piracy for Drink Cup Recordings in a Memphis theater and using a cup to hide the camera while trying to record Monsters University.

Do you think it proper for her to do jail time and/or pay a fine?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

If she were to upload it to the internet for a monetary gain then I think it would be wrong...
Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Zekkal
If she were to upload it to the internet for a monetary gain then I think it would be wrong...

Obviously, you didn't bother reading the story.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Now imagine that you built said car. Wanted to sell them because they are awesome. Then wake up to find in 10 of them appear in your hometown because clown made copies of your work. I am not saying it is the exact same thing as theft, but I do find it funny when people try and make it out to be a good thing. The majority of those that do that a lot are also the art type friends of mine. Write books, etc. I find it a bit ironic.

If it was just taping it.. ehh... jail time? However, reading the story. Yes, she got busted and has to deal with the consequences.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Those people who consider theft of intellectual property not to be theft

have obviously

never

had intellectual property of their own putting food in their kids' mouths.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Just ask Dean "MotherFcker" Jones, "I just come back from doing a dime. Some really nasty sh!t. They take that sh!t so serious."
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Piracy of media chips away at sales, be it box office or retail. That is it THIEVES money from artists and the rightfully licensed reseller of said product.

Just because the bind kid can't see you push him into the mud, doesn't mean it's an acceptable activity.

Spoiler

Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
Now imagine that you built said car. Wanted to sell them because they are awesome. Then wake up to find in 10 of them appear in your hometown because clown made copies of your work. I am not saying it is the exact same thing as theft, but I do find it funny when people try and make it out to be a good thing. The majority of those that do that a lot are also the art type friends of mine. Write books, etc. I find it a bit ironic.

If it was just taping it.. ehh... jail time? However, reading the story. Yes, she got busted and has to deal with the consequences.

A better analogy:

Let say you manufacture a widget in your garage as your sole form of income. Your neighbor comes over and copies the blueprints for that widget and leaks a 3d printable copy of it on the web. It's not as reliable, but it is infinitely replaceable, and virtually free. Before too long no one buys you widget any more and your business dries up, you left without income and forced out of your own industry. Sure you can introduce a widget 2.0 or a whatcha-majigger, but the result will be the same. If the neighbor and the downloaders didn't "thieve" that income, what caused the loss of income?