Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture This is an area to discuss anything that has to do with Arts & Cultural items, such as Photography, Paintings, History, Movies, Television, Music, Fashion, etc.

Thoughts on sigma 50mm f/1.4

Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Default Thoughts on sigma 50mm f/1.4

Im tired of my kit lenses on my t2i and was wondering if you've guys had used this lenses before and thoughts on it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Unless there is a very specific reason you want the Sigma, I advise you go with the Canon 50/1.8. Yes it looks like a plastic toy. But it is also only a hundred bucks brand-new and makes ridiculously sharp pictures in low light.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/50mm-f18.htm

Unless there is a very specific reason you want a 50mm lens, I VERY strongly advise you consider a shorter lens instead. 35mm is to APS-C digital sensors as 50mm was to 35mm film. Nikon makes a 35mm which I have, love, and (literally) shoot at least a hundred times a day. Canon gets as close as 40mm which is probably close enough to perfect not to notice the difference except in very low light.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/40mm-stm.htm

For the price of one Sigma you could try BOTH Canons and probably resell them for about what you paid if you hate them both. Whatever you do, do it so you end up with at least one fast prime lense because when they are used in their element, it can be like magic.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

The Canon 50mm 1.4 is absolutely stunning. The 1.8 is ok too, but the 1.4 is currently one of my favorite lenses.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It is a different -better- class of lens, and if you can swing it, go for the 1.4 vs. the 1.8.

Another nice thing about camera-brand lenses is they will tend to continue to be compatible with future cameras. Every once in a while the camera makers will change something with their camera-lens interface and some other brands of lenses won't have the proper protocols . . . and just not work with the new cameras.