Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture This is an area to discuss anything that has to do with Arts & Cultural items, such as Photography, Paintings, History, Movies, Television, Music, Fashion, etc.

Rated R for smoking

Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Rated R for smoking

Movies that show actors smoking tobacco should automatically earn an R rating in order to minimize copycat smoking among impressionable tweens and teenagers, the authors of a new study suggest.

PG-13 films account for nearly two-thirds of the smoking scenes adolescents see on the big screen, according to the two-year study, which surveyed roughly 5,000 children ages 10 to 14 about the movies they'd seen and whether they'd ever tried a cigarette.

Smoking in PG-13 films -- including background shots and other passing instances -- was just as strongly linked with real-world experimentation as the smoking in R-rated films. For every 500 smoking scenes a child saw in PG-13 movies, his or her likelihood of trying cigarettes increased by 49%. The comparable figure for R-rated movies was 33%, a statistically negligible difference.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/health...vie/index.html

More pussification of America
Old 07-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

What about movies with bank robberies? Are kids/people more likely to rob a bank after watching a movie involving bank robberies? This whole smoking thing has gone a little too far. We know it's bad, why not just make it an illegal substance?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by Armenia11
PG-13 films account for nearly two-thirds of the smoking scenes adolescents see on the big screen, according to the two-year study, which surveyed roughly 5,000 children ages 10 to 14 about the movies they'd seen and whether they'd ever tried a cigarette.
Just a coincidence, nothing to see here folks, move along now
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by pas1216
why not just make it an illegal substance?

Believe me they're trying to. However, just as with the supposed legalization of marijuana, it's a lot harder to pass such a law than people think. America as a country was founded on tobacco and many of it's citizens, myself included, are addicted to it. With a large chunk of the population in opposition to a change like that it would be very difficult to win an election on the platform of outlawing tobacco.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM

I'm a smoker too, but it really seams like we are being ostracized. Remember when smoking was cool?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Smoking was cool at the same time people sat around watching nuclear explosions. That was before they knew how dangerous either activity is.

If you start smoking, you are a dumbass. Every time you put out a cigarette, you have stopped smoking. Don't be a dumbass.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Stocker
If you start smoking, you are a dumbass. Every time you put out a cigarette, you have stopped smoking. Don't be a dumbass.

The words of a man that obviously doesn't understand the truth about smoking.

Albeit, it isn't intelligent to start smoking, it is insanely bad for your health and your wallet. However it isn't something you just give up. (IB4: "so and so I know just quit one day...")

I don't want smoking to be "cool" either. I just don't want to feel like a criminal for doing it. I hope to quit permanently one day (before it makes me too sick to leave the hospital long enough to burn one), but for now I'd just like to be able to light up without feeling like I should hide in a corner where nobody can see the awful thing I'm doing.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

So and so I know just up and quit one day. To include at least 10% of my co-workers in the past year alone, as well as my own frikken self ages ago when I realized it was a stupid thing to do. Right, I don't know anything about it except that I did it. You know how you stop smoking? You stop smoking. How hard was that?

. . . after the 3rd week, not hard at all. Don't suck at will power, just stop already. If you have to, eat nicotine gum and chew on your pen.

Re: hiding in the corner. It's the same thing spoken in a different voice, as taking juuuust a little bit of heroin. How would you react if you saw somebody shooting up on the street? You are deliberately inhaling smoke which you know is full of poison. Stop.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM

enough with the lecture dad! The only thing worse than smoking is someone that used to smoke telling others to stop.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

What I would like smoking to be:

How smoking is in real life:

This is a little off topic, I guess, but I put tobacco in the same class as port, nice whiskey, and my dad's record collection. Somethinbg to be appreciated now and then for celebration or whatever. Two of my housemates smoke a pack a day, each, and it is spectacularly impractical to say the least. Don't get me wrong though, this classification proposal is a load of wank and people should be free to smoke because they are adults and can make up their own bloody mind about these adult decisions.