Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture This is an area to discuss anything that has to do with Arts & Cultural items, such as Photography, Paintings, History, Movies, Television, Music, Fashion, etc.

How did he do this??

Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS
Default How did he do this??

My son just turned 3 and we are re-doing his room. We have a bed and dresser already, then my wife saw these on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-2-Hot-Wh...item2a25053c38

How did the seller make these? I'm figuring with some kind of crazy adhesive?? Solder?? I wouldn't think he disassembles the Hot Wheels to make them?? IDK?? I want to make 11 of them for my son's room, and there's no way I'm paying that much for them. Especially since I have hundreds of Hot Wheels already and can buy the screws, bolts and washers for a few bucks at Home Depot.

Thought's?? Idea's??
Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Dude! he made a Suzuki Escudo one!

Anyway, yes it looks like he would have glued them

it doesn't look like solder because you don't see any solder around the nut.

You could always message the seller and ask, say something along the lines of, id like to buy your custom hot wheels drawer handles but I'm afraid they may fall apart after a few uses. Then ask how the car and nut are held together.

Have fun with the room!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM

it's going to have to be some CRAZY glue. Crazy enough to stand up to a three year old

Any suggestions on type of glue? There is that stuff called No More Nails?? Or should I look into a metal to metal adhesive???

Anyone have any experience with gluing metal to metal?

THKS

edit- thks for posting that pic (why didn't I think to do that???)
Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

I haven't heard of "No More Nails" I would try some Krazy Glue" or "Gorilla Glue"
Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2006 hyundai tiburon GT V6

Originally Posted by Zekkal
Dude! he made a Suzuki Escudo one!

Anyway, yes it looks like he would have glued them

it doesn't look like solder because you don't see any solder around the nut.

You could always message the seller and ask, say something along the lines of, id like to buy your custom hot wheels drawer handles but I'm afraid they may fall apart after a few uses. Then ask how the car and nut are held together.

Have fun with the room!

he obviously drilled a hole all of the way through them and then attached a nut on the other side of the drawer to hold them on there...

http://www.ehow.com/how_8441373_use-...wer-pulls.html
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM

^^^^There is no screw hole or any hardware showing from the other side of the car.

JB Weld?

I just came back from Walmart, they didn't have much selection of glues and adhesives. I'm going to check Home Depot this week.

Someone mentioned Crazy Glue - I don't think crazy glue would hold up to a three year old.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by pas1216
^^^^There is no screw hole or any hardware showing from the other side of the car.

Duh, drill only all the way through ONE side? The cars are metal, and the plastic seats inside would possibly lend some support to the screw. I would recomend filling the car with some clear epoxy for additional strength, then screw in the screw and let the epoxy cure. Remove the screw and the car will be full of epoxy with threads that match the screw.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Buy 1 and take a closer look at it?

My guess, bottom of car is cut out, hole is drilled in side, slide nut inside of car body and screw in bolt. Also unless I'm missing something here, wouldn't you want to use a longer bolt with a sleeve on it to space the car away from the drawer a bit?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Yes, I totally agree with using a sleeve on the bolt, otherwise the car would just dig into the dresser drawer. I've been SO busy with work and other crap, this project is on hold for a few more days. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

BTW - buying some @ $8 a pair!!

EDIT- MAYBE he just drilled a hole into the car and used a slightly larger screw to make threads and the nut IS the spacer!? Almost seems too simple? Not too sure how it would hold up. I'm still leaning towards using JB Weld on a long bolt.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by pas1216
MAYBE he just drilled a hole into the car and used a slightly larger screw to make threads and the nut IS the spacer!? Almost seems too simple? Not too sure how it would hold up.

Very possible.

Makes them easier to slap together quick.