Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture This is an area to discuss anything that has to do with Arts & Cultural items, such as Photography, Paintings, History, Movies, Television, Music, Fashion, etc.

Has anyone traced their family history?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default Has anyone traced their family history?

I know as much as where my mother and fathers family came from in Ireland but nothing beyond that. Any of these online sites like ancestry.com worth the money? or any tips for doing it the old fashioned way actually going to the town to try and find any record of my family?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

My wife has been doing it on and off for the last 30 years and from her experiences i can recommend not to go to sites or places where they will compile your family tree for you they can be flawed in their results and some charge a lot of money.

With the inception of the internet it has vastly increased the amount of information available now compared to combing through microfiche films and waiting for paper work from other counties etc.

You really need to join a genealogy club/forum etc it makes it a lot cheaper if you can share your resources as they are not cheap and you might find some one who is related and done parts for you. A tip if you do find some already done you still will need to check it for accuracy also some names were changed to escape persecution some were spelled incorrectly an therefore changed etc like a lot from Ireland in the potato famine years one of ours was Lambert but changed it to De lambert.

My wife has spent a lot of money on records,census, birth,death marriages etc so hopefully it will hep some one in the future. It has been interesting even though it's not "my cup of tea" , we have made new friendships with people we have found related overseas especially in our own city .Some famous names have popped up here and there some don't want to share and some don't want to "dig up old skeletons" etc.

Good luck and enjoy your task ahead and you will probably start adding tags to get hits on family names.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This one's easy! We all go back to Noah, and then we all go back to Adam. How much farther back do you want to go?!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Actually, our family has been keeping its records for quite a while now. I gotta go back and dig all of that stuff up, but I'm a huge fat mix of british, irish, welsh, and norwegian. But that's going quite a ways back, most of my family has been in Australia for 5+ generations.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Stocker
This one's easy! We all go back to Noah, and then we all go back to Adam. How much farther back do you want to go?!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM

i think hes lookin for info that can actually be proven
Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

My cousin was a History professor and when he retired he traced our family back to Prussia. He even came up with a map showing the layout of the town and where the original house was. We have the records from Ellis Island where they entered the US from, pictures of the ship and the ships records.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find another book more authoritative, then.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Find another book more authoritative, then.

How about Mad Magazine?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Ok wait what book are we going from? The Bible and its sequel's or it's prequel's are we talking about? Noah = Ut-napištim = Atrahasis = Ziusudra = Xisuthrus = Deucalion = Nuh