Other Hyundai Models Forum All Hyundai Forum. Discuss all other Hyundai models here that not listed anywhere else, such as the Hyundai Pony and Hyundai Scoupe!

Hyundai RN30 concept revealed in Paris

Old 09-29-2016, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Hyundai RN30 concept revealed in Paris

374bhp, track-ready concept previews next year’s i30N

If there was any doubt about how seriously Hyundai is taking its new ‘N’ performance sub-brand, there isn’t now. This is the utterly mad RN30 concept, a steroidal preview of an i30N production car already confirmed for next year. Judging by this, it could be very fiery indeed.

The Koreans have already dipped their toes into the hot-hatch market with the somewhat apologetic Kia Ceed GT, but this time it’s targeting the big boys, the VW Golf GTI Clubsports, Seat Leon Cupras and Honda Civic Type Rs of this world. Engine size matches its rivals – a 2.0-litre heavily turbocharged unit, strengthened by a forged rather than a cast block, producing a hilarious 374bhp and 333lb ft. That’s the same output as its i20-based 2017 WRC challenger, and the Mercedes-AMG A45, but expect it to be turned down to something below the 300bhp mark for production.

The concept uses a dual-clutch gearbox and a four-wheel drive system to get that power onto the road, suggesting a paddle-shift auto will be offered alongside a six-speed manual. It’s unclear whether the i30N will adopt four-wheel drive, drawing on its WRC connection, or keep prices down by only driving the fronts. We suspect the latter.

Other tech highlights include an “Electronic Variable Exhaust System” that delivers a “surge of aural pleasure by emitting a strong exhaust sound consistent with the visceral sensations produced by the rapid acceleration,” no less. An electric diff measures out the torque at the rear axle and a weight reduction strategy shuns carbon-fibre in favour of what Hyundai calls “high-performance plastic materials”.

Then we get to the slightly more out-there stuff. The butterfly doors, for example, are a bit Max Power, but the BMW i8-style floating C-Pillars that join up to form a super-sized roof spoiler are things of beauty. Popped and vented wheel arches add 30mm extra width compared to the stock i30, while the suspension is slammed, dropping the roof 84mm closer to the road. White ceramic exhaust tips, painted tyre walls – making the 19-inch rims stretch beyond their actual dimensions – and psychedelic graphics complete the full Essex-boy makeover.

The interior is pure race car with bucket seats, full roll cage and a screen to control the car’s various functions embedded into the squircle-shaped steering wheel. And for those that like to capture every heroic or crashy moment in 4K clarity, there are two gimbal cameras built inside both A-pillars, and another attached to the centre fin on top of the roof. The TG telly team will be delighted.

So, what do we think readers - has Hyundai got what it takes to topple the hot-hatch establishment?

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/conc...revealed-paris

Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I can live without the laser rocketships inside, but I could drive a car that looked like that outside.