Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

In Your Opinion: Do mods add to the price of a vehicle?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburon
Default In Your Opinion: Do mods add to the price of a vehicle?

I see this all the time browsing classifieds. "Over X dollars invested!" followed by a (usually) ridiculous sale price. You see it all the time on craigslist too.

I'm in the camp that believes that mods, unless they're exactly what someone is looking for, should not be added to the sale price of a car. Part of my opinion comes from the fact that I don't really like the idea of people fiddling with cars and adding a bunch of mods that may or may not negatively affect the car. So I buy stock.

Anyone else agree?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

IDK. If it's exactly what someone wants, and they're willing to pay the money for the time the previous owner invested in the car, I see no harm in it. If you don't like it, there are thousands of other cars out there to chose from. Seems simple enough to me.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'd suggest maybe 30% of the worth of "mods" may be added to a selling price. If you have a functioning turbo setup and putting down an added 80hp, you should certainly add some of that to the price. If you have wheels - they can't be added to the price unless they're high-end $2,500 rims that someone would want (i.e., Work wheels on a tuner car, not some $500 set on an Integra).

Body kits - no love. Since you can't easily replace the body kit without buying a new one, I wouldn't add that to the value.
Accessories - lost money. Any neons, wings, eyelines, taillights, etc. are a lost investment.
Sound system - I'd apply the 30% rule, as this could easily be sold or transferred to another vehicle. There's worth in it.

Now, if it's a 1962 Mustang Convertible fully restored in immaculate condition and they have receipts showing $12,000 in restoration, new engine, paint, etc. then I'd definitely expect to get a good chunk (or extra) out of it.

Mods may help you sell the car, but it won't add to the value of it. It's just a perk to make yours more appealing than the one sitting next to it.

if I were to sell a highly modified car, in which I had the time and money invested as I do my Tiburon, I would want way more for it than anyone would be willing to give me. However, I feel that I will soon be parting ways with the Tibby.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Simply... no. Mods don't add value unless the vehicle is a dedicated purpose-built vehicle. In other words, a street car with a turbo kit is worth no more than one without. It may even be worth less. However, an all-out race car that's not registrable will be worth more than the street car it's based on. A dedicated show car with little mileage will be worth more than the street car it's based on. Rare parts may also add some value. For example, a VW Bug with rare EMPI parts is worth more than one without. You get the idea...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

A diamond is a stupid little worthless rock found in the dirt, just like every other rock on this earth. There's millions of them out there. However, due to marketing, they have a very high "value". Something is only worth what another is willing to pay for it.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ ^ precisely what I was going to say. The car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Blue book for a 300zx Shiro Special is around $3-4k, but I'd gladly pay $5k for one in excellent condition.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

As most people have said, generally no.