Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Would you do it or tell them yeah right?

Old 01-07-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Would you do it or tell them yeah right?

http://www.kcra.com/article/hoa-gara...s-ire/14755270

A Placer County homeowners association is mandating that its residents keep their garage doors open throughout the day during the workweek.

The policy, according to a notice taped to residents' doors, states that people who live in Auburn Greens face "an immediate hearing notice and subjected to a $200 fine" if they do not comply. The notice states the policy was enacted in October.

According to board member Norma Brewer, the policy was put in place after it was discovered that a resident was allowing people to live in his or her garage. She would not comment beyond that.

"That's an issue that they should address differently, I feel," said Fred Waidtlow, who owns one of the units in the community.

Waidtlow cleaned out his garage Thursday and moved personal belongings inside his unit as he voiced frustration with the policy.

"If we have to have this open from 8 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon, anybody can help themselves and steal you blind. And they do it in this Auburn Greens complex," he said.

Others echoed that sentiment.

"This will just be an open door policy and saying, 'Welcome, take what you want,'" said neighbor Shally Ia, who plans to keep her garage door closed.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I would take a look at what I agreed to do when I moved in... nope.. that isn't there - go pound sand.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Tib

Another HOA that has a god complex and thinks they can tell people how to live. I hope people sue the HOA if anything gets stolen.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
I would take a look at what I agreed to do when I moved in... nope.. that isn't there - go pound sand.

Most CCR's have a provision that says you're bound to any new rules the HOA passes. IMO, ALL rules and policy changes should be legally required to have an affirmative vote by a 2/3 majority of homeowners. The board shouldn't be allowed to make rules on their own.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I had a brief battle with my own HOA when they tried to tell me to do something much less onerous than this, which was not in our agreement. After an salty letter, I got a written exemption . . . and then the association's lawyer said it was "probably unenforceable" and they decided to drop the idea.

Speaking of lawyers, if there are any in the neighborhood, they should borrow a sheet of company letterhead and ask the HOA if they are willing to bear the liability for any theft that might take place from open garages.

This is a time when you go door to door collecting signatures and show up at the home of the President of the HOA, and tell them they are about to be on the entire neighborhood's sh*t-list if they don't undo the rule in a hurry. This is one of the rare instances when people would agree to do anything with regard to the HOA. They should also tell as many social media and IRL press outlets about this as they can, to generate pressure on the HOA to un-stupid itself. Which is apparently in the works because here we are.