Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Woman sues mcdonalds over happy meals

Old 12-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tibby
Default Woman sues mcdonalds over happy meals

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2...eals/?iref=NS1

A California woman is suing McDonald's claiming the fast-food giant uses toys to market directly to young children. Monet Parham, a Sacramento, California, mother of two small children filed the lawsuit Wednesday in San Francisco along with health, nutrition and food safety advocates Center for Science in the Public Interest . CSPI is seeking court approval to proceed as a class action.

Parham, a 41-year old state employee, says her kids repeatedly ask for Happy Meals, mainly for the toys. "We have to say no to our kids so many times and McDonald's makes that so much harder to do. I object to the fact that McDonald's is getting into my kids' heads without my permission and actually changing what my kids want to eat."

Michael Jacobson, CSPI's executive director accused McDonald's of "one of the most insidious marketing practices–dangling a toy in front of a small child." Jacobson called the practice "unfair, deceptive and illegal' in California and many other states. "The food industry has a responsibility not to intrude into families by using sleazy marketing techniques getting kids to pester their parents."

Jacobson compared the tactics to tobacco companies marketing to kids with things like Joe Camel. "In this instance, McDonald's is worse. They are going straight at little kids. The company is using unfair techniques to persuade the kids to persuade the parents to go to McDonald's. Tobacco companies don't go after 3 year-olds. Neither does Coca Cola or Pepsi."

In 2006, fast food companies spent over $520 million on advertising and toys to market kids meals. More than $350 million of that was for toys alone. Last month, The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that requires happy meals and other fast food offerings with toys meet new nutritional standards or be removed from menus. It goes into effect next December.

McDonald's says it is proud of its Happy Meals and will vigorously defend the company's brand, its reputation and its food. "We stand on our 30-year track record of providing a fun experience for kids and families at McDonald's," said Bridget Coffing, a company spokesperson. "We listen to our customers, and parents consistently tell us they approve of our Happy Meals. We are confident that parents understand and appreciate that Happy Meals are a fun treat, with quality, right-sized food choices for their children that can fit into a balanced diet."

This is not the first time CSPI has challenged fast food companies in court. In 2006 the organization went after Kellogg for marketing cereals loaded with sugar to children. In that case CSPI and Kellogg reached a settlement. CSPI also sued Kentucky Fried Chicken for frying its chicken in partially hydrogenated oil, which is high in trans fat. When KFC phased out the oil, CSPI dropped the lawsuit.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i hope this lady dies in a fire..

and that CSPI.. WTF?!?! if you want to get your kid the toy alone, walk your dumbass inside and buy it for 1$
Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

For a second there I thought it said CPS and hoped there were some grown-ups involved. Oh well. Here's to the next generation of fat people dying of diabetes-related illnesses because their parents didn't have enough love to tell their own children "no" and mean it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

if you want to get your kid the toy alone, walk your dumbass inside and buy it for 1$

She could get like 10 times that for $1 at a salvation army if she was that desperate!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

people will sue over anything these days...wasnt McDonalds actually sued by someone a few years ago when they spilled a hot coffee on themselves and got upset because the cup didnt have a warning that the contents may be hot?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^Yeah, and that old cleaned up financially because of it! This is retarded though! Toys have been in those meals for 30+ years, and because some dumb b*tch can't say no to her children, she wants to ruin that for the rest of the world?! If your child is fat from McDonald's, it's because you yourself are taking them there to often, end of story!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Update: "State employee" my tuchus. This "just some random mother" woman turns out to be an overzealous food cop employed by the California Department of Public Health, and since her lawsuit they took her name off the website for Champions for Change, the Network for a Healthy California. Calling her "just some mom suing McD's" is like saying Michelle Obama is "just some lady interested in fitness."

Of course, like Mrs. Obama, judging from photos she could use a little more fitness herself, and full well knows better than to take her children to McDonalds for a happy meal but probably caves to their whinging anyway. The government must save . . . its employees from their own children?

Shout out to Moonbattery.com
Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Ahh, corruption................
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I remember when McDonalds had to remove their ball courts because people were afraid their kids might choke. Somehow I get the feeling that all the fun is being sucked away.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

You better write them and protest, that they should fight the suit . . . or else we'll end up like England