Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Wireless Networking

Old 06-24-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my situation is when I get home, in a single room I'll have my xbox 360, two PC's and a laptop..... the house has wireless in it but the router is in the basement and my stuff will be on the 2nd floor of the house. So my question is... is there something you can buy at newegg, tigerdirect etc... that will connect to the wireless router in the basement and act as a hub for all 4 devices?

What Im asking is would a wireless gateway be able to do this?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:44 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Why can't you connect directly to the router in the basement?

You want something that connects wirelessly to the one in the basement and then acts as a wireless gateway? Like a wireless hub? I don't know if that exists (it probably does), but I would suggest using a regular wireless router and using a cable to connect it to the basement router. Otherwise, you have two wireless "hops" in your route and that would probably slow you down. Plus, with this setup, you would be able to plug in your laptop/PC to the router without going to the basement when you need additional bandwith (for a download or something). So you could buy a regular router (non-wireless), put that in the basement, and move the wireless router from the basement to the 2nd floor.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:05 AM

That wont work... The cable modem is in the basement and connected to a wireless router. There is no way to run a cable from the basement to the top floor easily. Hence I want to plug with a cat5 cable into a wireless router that can act as the interface to the wireless router in the basement wirelessly wink1.gif

Say that 3 times fast. I've been doing some research on google and whatnot and what I think I need is a WAP (Wireless Access Point).
Old 06-24-2007, 06:23 AM

So you want to connect using cable to the 2nd floor router, the 2nd floor router connects wirelessly to the basement router, is this correct?
Although the term is more broad, a WAP is usually a wireless router/transmitter (what you have in your basement).. you want something that does the reverse thing (receives wireless)..

I think what you want is a "wireless bridge". Check out this description:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...d=9743339789B02

Sound like what you need.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:41 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

This is my answer to your question. It can be a router, 3 routers, Router and a wireless bridge, router and wireless range extender, the options are limitless. It takes a bit of reading but with custom software, you can make WRT54Gs do anything. These 3 WRT54Gs cost less then a WRT54G and a wireless range extender, which is why I bought them. Now I can set 2 of them somewhere and get internet access up to 1Kilometer from where I live.

If you're just trying to bridge, this might not be the option for you, but a set like this could go up on your roof and repeat your wireless signal (with security of course) so you could get access anywhere in the neighborhood.

The software is DDWRT. Here's the page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation I learned alot from messing with this firmware. You can add alot of value to your router by installing this firmware.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:21 AM

redx.gif

Im behind a filter 02.gif

I was actually looking at getting one of these, maybe two..

BUFFALO WHR-G125 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G High Speed Router & Access Point

or...

BUFFALO WHR-G54S IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G 125 High Speed Broadband Router & Access Point

Radu: No I want to connect the 2nd floor wireless access point to the basement wireless router.. wirelessly
Old 06-24-2007, 08:30 AM

I said: "So you want to connect using cable to the 2nd floor router, the 2nd floor router connects wirelessly to the basement router, is this correct?"
You say: "No I want to connect the 2nd floor wireless access point to the basement wireless router.. wirelessly"
Aren't we saying the same thing? I mean - you want to connect your PC on the 2nd floor using cable to the 2nd floor "magic device you are looking for right now", and this magic device connects wirelessly to the basement router. Isn't this what you are trying to do?

I think that those access points you mentioned connect WITH A WIRE to the internet source. They are called wireless because you can connect your laptop/whatever TO THEM. So they route FROM wired network TO wired and wireless devices. You need FROM wireless TO wired devices. Check out that link I gave you above, I think that's what you need (wireless bridge)

PS: a wireless access point usually means a point that gives you wireless access, NOT a point which allows you to access some wireless network (which is what you are trying to do). Not one that connects wirelessly to some existing network, but one that creates a wireless network and allows you to connect your wireless devices to it. The device you have in your basement is a wireless access point, since you can connect wirelessly to it.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

You can work with two of those wrt54g routers from linksys. Load the firmware that DTN was showing you onto both of them. Place one in the basement connected to the cable modem and the other upstairs where you are at. The one in the basement will need to be configured as a router/wap and the one upstairs will need to be configured as a bridge. You will be able to connect to the bridge upstairs wirelessly or through one of the four usable rj45 connections on the back of the router. I know that it will work because I actually was using a setup like that a couple of years ago, same router, different older firmware.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:38 AM

He already has a wireless router that works in his basement. So he only needs a bridge at the 2nd floor. If the device you are talking about can be configured as a bridge, yes it will work
Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 AM

So it seems to me that what you want is definitely a wireless access point.

If the crude drawing of mine above is correct, the least expensive way I have found to do this is to use two belkin routers, as there firmware from the factory allows them to bridge and act as access points instead of routers. They are inexpensive routers and freely available on eBay, just make sure to get the 802.11g model if you decide to go this route. (No pun intended) It would be even cheaper if the router downstairs was already a Belkin.

Just my input

- Shadyshifty