Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Wireless N Routers And Cards.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, after some heated debate, I've decided I'm going to try Wireless N at my house to see if the range and speed are satisfactory for my daily use.

Long story short, my new house is huge, and well built, so it doesn't like the G signals very much at my house. I want some higher speeds, and some wider range, but need G compatibility still (Cellphones, Laptops, visitors).

So, what I'm looking for is a good Wireless N router, with REALLY good range, and 2 N wireless cards for my desktops. I'd like a router that I can pick up a second one if needed to rebroadcast wider range, and I have to have one with at least 3 ethernet ports in the back. I'd ALSO like options for a N wireless adapter for my wife's laptop, and would prefer one without a huge antenna.

Nothing really special about the desktop cards.

So if you have some advice for me, that meets the above, I'd appreciate it. LINKS and model numbers would really be helpful.

Thanks folks! If this setup doesn't work for what I want, and isn't expandable enough for the future, I'll look at other options I've been throwing around like MoCA, but maybe wait for the competition to drive prices down a bit.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Bump?

I also looked at my wife's laptop last night, there is no PCMCIA slot on it, so I guess it'll stay G wireless. The USB slots on it are on the right side,w hich sucks when using an external mouse, so I'm sure a USB N adapter would suck there more.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM

I'll get the ball rolling on this. I suggest Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router WRT310N, NOT THE 160... They don't have an external antenna like the previous models, but they do the job. After that install some dd-wrt firmware (it's done for the 310) extend the range, and you're done. I've only ever use Link-sys in the corporate places, and i have no problems .. except for the 160's.. Which are garbage.