Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Will N. Korea ever push enough buttons to initiate a war?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default Will N. Korea ever push enough buttons to initiate a war?

Seems they are doing everything they can to see just how far they can push things. Does anyone really believe N. Korea's denial of responsibility? Based on the below article I guess the only punishment that N. Korea should face is admitting its wrongdoing?

US 'strongly condemns' N.Korea over ship's sinking
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...oMqdyOTcqVzg-VQ

WASHINGTON — The United States said it "strongly condemns" an attack on a South Korean warship after investigators concluded a torpedo fired from a North Korean submarine was to blame.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said a report issued in Seoul on Thursday by a multinational team investigating the March 26 sinking of the 1,200-tonne Cheonan corvette near the disputed inter-Korean border reflected an "objective and scientific review of the evidence."

US President Barack Obama has expressed his "deep sympathy" to South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak and the Korean people for the 46 sailors who lost their lives aboard the warship, Gibbs said.

"The United States strongly condemns the act of aggression that led to their deaths," he added.

Lee, meanwhile, vowed "resolute countermeasures" against the North ahead of a meeting of his National Security Council scheduled for early Friday.

South Korea, through strong international cooperation, "should make North Korea admit its wrongdoing and return as a responsible member of the international community", Lee added, according to his office.

But North Korea again denied responsibility, warning of "full-scale war" if new sanctions are imposed, according to Seoul's Yonhap news agency, which monitors North Korean media.

"This act of aggression is one more instance of North Korea's unacceptable behavior and defiance of international law," Gibbs said. "This attack constitutes a challenge to international peace and security and is a violation of the armistice agreement" signed by the two countries.

In a telephone discussion with Lee on Monday, Obama "made clear that the United States fully supports the Republic of Korea, both in the effort to secure justice for the 46 service members killed in this attack and in its defense against further acts of aggression," the spokesman added.
The White House statement also blasted the North for its "belligerence" and "unacceptable behavior."

"North Korea must understand that belligerence towards its neighbors and defiance of the international community are signs of weakness, not strength," Gibbs said.

"Such unacceptable behavior only deepens North Korea's isolation. It reinforces the resolve of its neighbors to intensify their cooperation to safeguard peace and stability in the region against all provocations."
Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Accent

Doubt war will ever happen.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

As a member of the USAF all I can say is we are F-ing ready...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

As a prior service veteran, I can say you are ready tongue.gif
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

n. korea always pulls this sh*t

then they go into "peace talks" saying they wont attack if they get x amount of supplies/materials

Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think there will be war. I don't think it'll be based on anything other than an insane leader in N. Korea. It might happen after Kim Jung Il passes away and somebody else takes control, but I think it'll happen.

Could be soon, I would not put it past him to rig up a nuke on a giant bottle rocket and point it approximately towards the US.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

If there is money to be made then you can bet your life will will be a nice long war.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

No money to be made in that one. If they cross the border the amount that will die against the defenses each side has along with the artillery they have pointed at each other will be....... well worse than anything we have ever seen.

On one side you have a sh*t ton of highly trained but not so well equipped turds that know they HAVE to get far enough into S. Korea to steal there stuff or they will fail.

against a smaller but equally well trained very well equipped force with insane defenses already in place (on of my MOSs is Combat Engineer so I know what a good defense looks like) along with the US backing them up. Oh and don't forget with carriers and the air bases in Japan will do to the masses trying to get into Seoul as fast as possible

Id put the death toll of the first month at half a million plus, easy.

If they are dumb enough to lob on of those nukes he has... one Ohio Class sub could take out that country... yikes.

To answer the question, is he dumb enough yes. All it will take is someone to make the wrong move and the other side flinches
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Defence company's and bankers always profit from war, just how it is.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

i doubt it, north korea would get creamed, badly. russia doesn't care about north korea any more, and china is uneasy. but the US attacking north korea? that would piss them off, maybe not enough to start a war but it would put 20 years of negotiating down the toilet. stirring sh*t over there would be messy for the US.